forty [t]

monday,
april 3rd, 2018

TRINITY HAYSON

It's around 9pm when Shawn's forgotten phone begins to ring obnoxiously on the kitchen counter, interrupting my Grey's Anatomy session. I roll my eyes, a small silly grin appearing at the fact that he's left his phone here by mistake. I jump off of the couch and stroll towards it to push it on silent, but my hand seems to freeze in its position when the familiar name reads across the top of the screen.

Why's Vanessa calling him?

I try to ignore the fact that his ex is randomly calling him at this time on a Monday night, but it's easier said than done, especially when the phone stops ringing and a message pops up explaining that Shawn has one new voicemail. Curiosity gets the best of me, I'm ashamed to say. I slide open his phone, slightly surprised that he doesn't have a passcode. I tap on the voicemail and my stomach churns as I hear her smooth voice.

"Hey Shawn, you left your wallet here. Uh- if you want, I can drop it off at your building in reception, or you can call by for it. I don't mind, just let me know when-"

An annoying beep cuts off the message and I can't help but think the worst. Did they hook up? Did he cheat on me? What the fuck happened tonight?

The rain outside catches my attention and I sadly slip on my sneakers and exit the apartment. I make sure to bring his phone with me as I mope down to reception, where I see Shawn pulling up outside. I wonder why he isn't parking in the basement like usual, but it's not at the top of my list of questions as I leave the building.

Shawn clicks his car shut and stops in his tracks as he sees me, standing at the top of the few steps, rainwater drenching my lazy clothing as I hold up the phone to him. Tears escape my eyes and I hardly notice it if I'm honest.

"Trinity," Shawn starts out, whispering over the pounding of the rain.

"I know you were with her, Shawn."

Shawn's face drops and pales and my arms wrap around myself in attempt to warm up. My eyes involuntarily roll around in a full circle and I watch as Shawn gulps nervously.

"Nothing happened," he says, choosing his words carefully.

"Don't lie to me," I spit.
"I-I'm not lying."
"You stuttered."

I turn on my heel and fast walk into the building and towards the glass elevator. I scoff. This bastard. Does he seriously think I can't catch him in a lie? I hear Shawn call after me once or twice and pick up a jog in hopes of sneaking in the lift before him and not having to face him anymore. I repeatedly press the square button and the doors pry open with a ping. I enter immediately, pushing the close doors button as quick as possible, but of course Shawn manages to slither in beside me.

I remain silent as the lift begins to rise and Shawn sighs, "Trinity."

I'm about to speak, and tell him off for seeing her, for doing whatever he did with her, for lying to me, but the overhead lights flicker and distract me before I can. The lift jolts harshly and I gasp as the lights turn off completely.

"No," I whisper, frantically looking around, "no!" I press the yellow emergency call button but it fails to work.

"Calm down, T, it's alright," Shawn tries to reassure me in a flat whisper.

"Alright?" I snap, "What part of this whole situation is alright?!"

Shawn presses the other button, a red one. It's used for emergency elevator stops and starts. It doesn't work, the power must be out, too.