sixteen [t]

thursday,
march 9th, 2018

TRINITY HAYSON

I hold my phone between my ear and shoulder as Charlie talks to me. I desperately try and fix the straps of my upper thigh length dress and soon succeed.

"So I'll just meet you there?" I confirm through the phone.

"Yup, Amber's getting a cab with me. Is Shawn driving you?"

"Yeah," I sigh and set my phone beside me on the bed, pushing the loud speaker button as I slide on my white vans.

"Okay- but, don't get too out of hand. You sort of have a boyfriend. Y'know, well, kind of. I don't want you showing up at the party unable to walk because Shawn has fucked you in the back seat of his jeep," Charlie mocks and I flinch as Shawn laughs. I didn't even know he came in here.

"Charlie! Oh, god. I have to go. I'll see you soon." I hang up straight away before she says anything else.

"Fuck you in the back seat of my jeep?" Shawn teases, "I could work with that."

"Shut up," I grumble and stand from my bed. I glance in the mirror at my red, tight dress and sigh. I actually look pretty good, red has always been my colour — or so I've been told. The neckline is a v-neck and the fabric is almost silky. It's comfortable, at least. Once again, my makeup isn't too heavy, with a sleek base and lengthening mascara.

"You look good. Let's get going," Shawn says.

I check my phone to see that it's 9:10pm. Fashionably late, I suppose.

I walk behind Shawn and sneakily admire his outfit. He's dressed in a maroon, formal button up and black skinny jeans. He looks handsome, he really cleans up well.

Shawn and I walk side by side in silence to the elevator. "Why don't you just look outside? You're not going to die," Shawn complains.

"I beg to differ," I mumble and Shawn snorts. The elevator transports us to the basement garage and we stroll towards Shawn's jeep. We hop inside and Shawn immediately steals the aux chord.

"Let's listen to my music, for a change," Shawn says and presses play on an Eminem song. I only know some of the rap lyrics, but Shawn recites them perfectly and seemingly effortlessly.

I watch in awe until the songs ends and Shawn stops at a red light, "What?"

"You can rap."

"What kind of college boy would I be if I didn't smoke weed and rap?" he jokes.

"You smoke?"

"Only at parties."
"What d'you smoke?"

"Weed, like I said."
"That's all?"
"Mhmm."

I nod and turn to look out of the window. Shawn shifts gears and begins to drive again. His sizeable hand lands on my bare knee and I don't have the immediate feeling to push it off, so I leave it alone.

"You really do look amazing tonight," Shawn compliments me and I unwillingly blush, "You think you and Evan will hook up tonight?"

My eyebrows pull together in confusion at his blunt question, "I don't know. It's none of your business, anyway. But thanks for the compliment. You look good, too."

Shawn's lips begin to curl into a sly smirk and he bites his bottom lip to refrain. We soon pull up outside the gates of Evan's fraternity house but Shawn parks a little down the footpath as it's overcrowded. We exit the car and Shawn's left hand resides to my lower back.