twenty-five* [t]

sunday,
march 19th, 2018

TRINITY HAYSON

"I can't believe he opened up to you," Charlie says as we sit across from one another inside of a beachside ice cream parlour. It's cutely decorated, painted mainly white with bursts of colour here and there. "Twice now."

"I know," I respond, scooping some strawberry sorbet into my mouth, humming at the wonderful taste, "It nearly broke my heart to see him so upset and... vulnerable. I've never seen him that way."

"Nobody really has," Charlie says and wipes her lips with a napkin, "our little group has known Shawn for years, since he moved. The only time I've ever seen him cry is when his favourite basketball team didn't win the finals, and he barely even knew me then. He kept calling me Charlotte."

I chuckle at that, picturing Shawn with angry and frustrated tears sliding down his handsome face as he yells at the TV screen. We've been on good terms since yesterday, and if anything, Shawn is acting quite sweet towards me. Of course he'd throw in the odd cocky, horny tease, but it'd be strange if he didn't.

He told me about wanting to write a song, and I immediately told him to go for it. He's still indecisive, as he doesn't think he would be talented in the songwriting scene. I beg to differ, sometimes he just makes up random melodies on his keyboard, and random arrays of chords on his many guitars. Even those sound fantastic.

"How're you two getting on?" Charlie asks me, finishing up her ice cream and tossing the small tub into a nearby bin. Her blonde waves bounce in the sunlight satisfyingly.

"Good," I answer her, "I think I'm getting to see a different side to him than usual."

"That's a good thing," Charlie agrees. I nod my head before finishing up the last scoop of ice cream. I throw away my rubbish and walk with Charlie out of the small shop.

It's a gorgeous day today, the sun is shining brightly and the temperature is soothingly warm. Charlie and I walk along the sandy beach for about an hour, talking about whatever comes to mind. It's great how she and I have gotten so close. When moving from one country to another, new friends are necessary. I'm grateful for her, and the others of course.

"So you start working in Mon's on Tuesday, right?" she asks me as we walk back towards main street.

"Uh huh," I nod.

"Why don't I stop by and order something? Make your job easier on your first day." Charlie stupidly winks at me and I chuckle.

"That'd be nice," I say, "a bit of reassurance."

***

I arrive home after a day out with Charlie, my bones aching for a hot shower. Today, we ate ice cream, walked along the shore, shopped on main and simply enjoyed ourselves. I can't even remember the last time I had a girl's day out.

"Shawn! I'm home," I call out and set a brown paper bag on the kitchen counter. Shawn had texted me while I was out and asked me to pick him up a muffin from Diagonal, a corner coffee shop near our apartment.

I gaze out of the vast window straight ahead and smile at the sunset. If anything, L.A. has the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises.