Chapter 1: Orientation

Oceanna's POV

I gasped as the campus came into view. I stared at the view maybe a little too long, but good thing I looked in front of me in enough time to slam on my breaks to avoid slamming into the car in front of me. This is it, orientation day. The first step on my four year college journey. I have dreamed of attending San Diego State University ever since I came to the campus for an event in the sixth grade. 

SDSU was the only school I applied to senior year, and I waited very impatiently for months for them to make their decision and finally send me my acceptance letter. For seven years straight, I studied, joined extra curricular activities, and even picked up a few jobs. I did anything and everything to make sure I would get accepted into my dream school. I graduated as the Salutatorian of my class, not as great as Valedictorian, but at least I was second in my class which gave me automatic admission to any school.

Being second in my class also gave me full rides to multiple schools, including SDSU which is probably one of the happiest moments of my life. I don't know if my parents would have let me attend SDSU without a full ride if it meant turning down full rides from other schools.

I finally arrived at the giant parking lot full of new freshmen, all congregating towards the sign in tables. I parked my car and got out, following everyone else to the tables. I stood in the line that said A-G since it was organized by last names.

After what felt like forever I heard someone yell "Next!" and knew it was directed at me. I walked up to the empty spot at the table and stood in front of the woman who had a stack of papers in front of her.

"Name?"

"Oceanna Grey." 

"Ooh, very unique. You should be easy to find." She said, flipping through the papers. "Ah here you are, Miss Grey." She said, laying the paper out in front of me. "This has all of your information on it so don't lose it! You're going to need to confirm that it's correct when you meet with your adviser. On the next page is your orientation group number, the hall and room you're staying in along with the name and location of your adviser and the time you meet with them. This packet is all your important orientation information like your schedule and your map. Here's a bag full of Aztec goodies and your room key. Welcome to SDSU, Miss Grey." She finished with a smile. 

I stepped away from the table as the next person in line took my spot. I looked around for a minute before seeing the stream of students heading towards the school auditorium. I followed the students, figuring that's where I went next. I looked at my schedule and confirmed that was the next item on the list.

We all filed into the auditorium, sitting in any empty seat we could find. I saw some people chatting with their neighbors, assuming those were the people who were attending college with their high school friends. I also some people who were like me, sitting alone, not talking to anyone.

Thirty minutes later, the lights dimmed except for the stage lights.

"Welcome SDSU class of 2005!" The announcer at the microphone exclaimed. Everyone cheered and clapped. "My name is Stephen Weber and I am the president of this fine university.  I for one am so excited to have you bright students join our school. Attending orientation is the first step to the rest of your lives! Even though these next two days will include a lot of boring paperwork and adult stuff you probably didn't want to think about for the next month, try to make the most of it. Get to know your adviser, come senior year they will be your best friend. Get the classes you need but don't forget to have a little fun along the way. Get to know your peers, make some friends today so that you have something to look forward to come move in day. Most importantly, take in all San Diego State has to offer and don't let a single opportunity pass you by. Go Aztecs!" He exclaimed and everyone cheered.