Moving on

Nova POV

"So, would you do me the honors of being safe and come stay with me?"

My eyes shot open as I heard that question come out of Leek's mouth. I moved my arms from him and sat up. He turned his lamp on then sat up with me. I can't believe he just asked me that.

"I... I can't do that." I said looking him in his face.

He surprised the hell out of me when he came rushing to my rescue after my dad once again beat my ass. He has proven to be dependable, I'll give him that, but... I don't think I'm ready to put my trust in him like that. We haven't even known each other that long and he wants me to move in with him? I don't get it.

"Malik I..." I paused, not sure what to say.

He grabbed my hands and stared into my eyes. "Nova we all have trust issues to some extinct. I know we only been talking for like a month or two or three or however long. Days running into each other and shit. But... Damn, got a nigga in here talkin bout feelings and shit. A light skin nigga at that. Got me feelin like Drake." He huffed out a breath of air from his mouth. "I want to take care of you Nova."

"But why though?" I asked with tears forming in my eyes.

Why would this dude want to take care of me? What could he possibly want in return? My dad was right. I really am a broke bitch and I don't have anything without all the shit that he's got me. I have nothing to give him in return except for my body. I'm sure that's what he really wants anyway. Ugh, I shouldn't be thinking like that.

"You special to me Nova. I'm not asking you to be with me in the sense of boyfriend and girlfriend. I'm asking you to let me take care of you. We don't have to sleep in the same bed. A nigga got other bedrooms in this bitch. Bedrooms. I ain't say shit about beds though. I mean it ain't nothin to go to the furniture store though."

I'm flattered by his offer but I don't know about this. What if Malik decides that he wants to hold money over my head like my father? What if he gets angry with me and kicks me out? What if we end up getting in a fight and he says he never wants to hear from me again? Then what? I value his friendship because he's an alright guy and hasn't done anything to make me think otherwise so far. I don't know what he's capable of though!

"I don't think that I can do this." I said looking away from him. Tears slid down my face again. I freed one of my hands from his and put it over my mouth. "If... If... If I'm not the punching bag then that puts my brother at risk."

Leek stared at me a few minutes. At least it felt like a few minutes. His facial expression changed from calm to angry in the matter of seconds.

"Hold the fuck up! Did your dad do this shit?! Don't lie to me either, because I know the truth." He put his hand against my neck so his thumb could softly caress my cheek. "On our first date you told me that you stay with your dad. On our second date you let me drop you off at your house. He did this shit!"

Sobs escaped my mouth as I put my hand on his. I can't believe he caught on so quick. I mean after all this is the same guy that always mix up something as simple as a four letter name.

"Yo, dad or not I'ma kill that muthafuckin bitch!" Leek said as he glared at me. I've never seen him this mad or this serious about anything! He seems way too mad about this situation for it to be about me. Am I really that important to him, or has he potentially gone through something like this before?

I didn't want to say anything because even though my dad has put me through so much pain, I still love him. It makes no sense to me, but I do. At one point he was a kind hearted man who loved me. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have been born and I wouldn't have made it this far without him. I don't want him to be killed and I don't want him to kill anybody. I have no idea what he's capable of!