Disengage and Resolve

"The thing about loving someone, about laying your heart wide open and being immutably vulnerable is that it unbolts the door to free and (paradoxically) unleash your deepest fear, which challenges any resolve to be worthy, to be loved, any determination to be seen and heard and felt. That's when you face it. You stare fear down and melt it to the ground. And if the one you love is there when your personal smoke clears, you can go through anything. Together."
- Amy Larson.

***

Nick felt as though the silence, between him and Maya, would persist forever. He thought that after he was there for her in the stairwell that she would come talk to him, maybe not right away but maybe a few days later. But no, they were going on week two and now she was leaving for the United Kingdom. It would only be for a few days, but the whole situation was still driving him insane. He wanted to resolve all of this and see where that left them but he knew now that it would have to wait until she was back. And when she was ready, but he wasn't willing to wait forever...or was he? He wasn't.

Maya had just gotten through airport security after Bishop had dropped her off. Maya didn't want to go to the UK, not right now. Her mind would not be fully present and she wouldn't be able to enjoy being there even if it was for work. She was not prepared for what happened next. There was an explosion nearby and then another one. She immediately unholstered her gun and was thankful she decided to wear her NCIS zip up and badge on her hip. She looked over to a security officer, "You need to call 911," Maya told him and he nodded, dialing the number but he was shot seconds later; a bullet entered the back of his had and flew through his eye, blood splattered around but luckily Maya was standing far enough away.

Nick was on the highway, driving toward the airport but the traffic wasn't moving and he could see police lights up ahead. He flipped the news broadcasting station on his radio. It when there he heard there was a hostage situation at the airport and explosions. He flipped on his lights and cars started parting for him. He got up to the police barricade, directing people to exit and go home. They stop him and flashed his badge. "What is NCIS doing here?" The local law enforcement asked him.

"My partner is in that airport..."he trailed off, not knowing what to say to this officer, "I had just left the airport dropped her off when I heard what was going on. I turned around."

"Let the guys know why you're here and that Sargeant Timmons okay'd it," he paused, "I'm sure you'll be able to help use infiltrate and save these people. And your friend."

"Nobody is calling anyone!" A man yelled, "now everybody get down on the ground!" Maya counted the armed assailants. The man who yelled was probably the leader, then there was two men near him, another two coming up from the escalators with hostages, and she was sure there was more elsewhere. There was nowhere for Maya to turn and soon enough these guys would be taking everybody's phones. She slipped her phone into her purse just as they grabbed her and started pushing her toward the cluster of other hostages. They pushed her down beside a group of women and as soon as they were paying attention to them, she pulled out her phone and hit it behind one the back of a young teenage. She shot out a 911 text to  *5 which was Nick. She went to send another to Gibbs but they had spotted her leaning and she subtly lifted her hand, rubbing the girls back.

"It'll be okay," Maya muttered as one of the men came forward. The girl scooted away, sitting on Maya's phone.

"What're ya'll doing over here, ladies?" The man was tall, thick, and bald, he was moderately intimidating, "ya'll need to be taught a lesson?"

"No," Maya said firmly.

"Oh. You're actually talking to me, are ya cutie?" He says, his eyes narrowing on her.

"What do you want?" Maya growled back.

"You'll see," he said, and then he was called away to talk to his leader.

Nick was on the phone with McGee and Gibbs when he stepped out of his car, "just trace her phone. Infiltrate the video cameras. Do whatever you have to, McGee! Maya is in there."

"You need to calm down, Nick. Maya can take care of herself," Gibbs replied, realizing day by day the feelings that Nick and Maya had for one another.

"She's not invincible, Gibbs," Nick shot back and hung up the phone before anyone else could say anything. "What's the situation?" Nick asks the officers that were huddled under a tent, discussing the situation inside.

"Who are you?" One man, who was presumably the chief, asked and stepped toward Nick.

Nick flashed his badge, "Sargeant Timmons sent me up here. One of my agents is in the airport. And he thought you guys could use an extra head for tactical support."

"Ah, Timmons. Good man," he chief said, "I'm chief Harlow. Good to have you on board, agent Torres." They shook hands.

"So what do we know so far?" Nick asks them.

"There's 20 armed assailants in there at least, they've blown yo two terminals. They have a couple hundred hostages. No demands yet," chief says, "no calls either. My assault team is on their way. Should be here in 10 then we can firm up a plan."

Nick's phone vibrated then and he pulled it out, a 911 text from Maya. "Just got a 911 text from my agent. She's one of the hostages." Nick said, wishing that she had made it out after the initial explosions.