Never-ending

"A relationship with no arguments is a relationship with a lot of secrets" [But a lot of secrets can cause arguments]."

***

Maya pulled into Nick's parking garage adjacent to his apartment. She pulled into one of the guest spots and sat there for several minutes, trying to think of what she would say to him. She knew she was a handful at times, but she was grateful for his patience; his seemingly never-ending patience. She slipped out of the car and walked a short way to the stairwell, she climbed up two floors before entering into a hallway on his floor. She passed by several doors before reaching his. She raised her hand to knock, but stopped when she heard him speaking on the other side. "I get she's grieving, but it's like she doesn't even trust me," Nick said, Maya was unsure if there was another person in his apartment or if he was on the phone. 

"You think she doesn't trust you?" that confirmed he was with another person, a woman, "You think she would be pursuing you if she didn't trust you?"

"I don't know. Sometimes I just don't know with her," Nick sighs, heavily, "all I know is that, something's different about losing her friend. I think this changed her and I don't know why. I don't know who this woman was to her, but she won't tell me. I want her to. She's talked to me about her personal stuff before, but this must be just so different that she doesn't know how to say it." He was right, she didn't know how to tell him. She had told Gibbs but that terrified her so she left out the important details. She didn't know how to tell anyone that she had personal relations with her, with Renee. She didn't want to believe it was shame or embarrassment but it seemed to be the only explanation for why she couldn't say the words. She knew that one night did not have to be a defining moment for her, it was one time and she was lonely. At the time, they both had people to go home to so why was Maya so caught up? She didn't believe being gay was wrong, but she'd always been curious. Renee and her both had realized that all that moment was for them was curiosity, but it was something they both needed in the moment. Even thinking through this, Maya still felt like she wasn't ready to tell anyone. "I'll walk you out," Nick said on the other side of the door. The rest of the conversation had played out and she didn't get to hear it because she was wrapped up in her own head. Time slowed for her as she knew that she had a decision to make right then though, let him know that she was standing outside of his door or disappear before he answered it. When the door opened, Maya was no where in sight. Nick felt something in his gut though, that someone had been out in the hall when he opened it. "Actually, why don't I walk you to your car? Never know who's out there," he gave his sister a smile.

"I can take care of myself," she paused, "but I won't say no because I know that it will give you peace of mind. Let's take the stairs, I won't be going to the gym today."

Maya had slipped in her car while this conversation was happening, she wasn't expecting to see Nick and his sister coming out of the stairwell from her rearview mirror. "shit." He spotted her car, but he was processing. Maya backed out and pulled out of the parking garage, hoping that he didn't see her and hoping he had not remembered her license plate number. She knew her luck though with him, he probably did know it was her. She felt like such a fool. She was running away again. 

"Nick?" his sister waved a hand in front of his face because he seemed to be frozen in place. "Earth to Nick, are you there?"

"What?" he turned and looked at his sister who looked concerned now.

"Where'd your mind take you?" she asked him.

"I just saw Maya's car drive out of here," he said definitively.  

"Was it actually Maya's car or a car that looked like hers?" she asked him, figuring it was just his nerves on this whole situation. 

"I'm not entirely sure, but I sort of think it was her's," But why would she be here and not come talk to him, he wondered but he kept those thoughts to himself. 

"I doubt it. I have to go get Amanda though," she pauses, slipping into her car, "Don't get too hung up on it, okay? if you guys really care about one another, it'll get worked out. I'm sure of it." She gave him a reassuring smile as she started up her car, "I love you."

"Thank you, Lucia," he told her, "I love you too. Send my love to Amanda, too." Lucia nodded and drove away, leaving Nick in his own head. He pulled out his phone and contemplated calling Maya. He also thought about calling McGee to track her phone, but he thought both sounded nuts. Instead, he went back upstairs and threw one some running shorts. Then he went for a jog. 

Meanwhile, Maya returned to her apartment and was still feeling like a complete fool. She was now thoroughly embarrassed even if he hadn't seen her. She should have just stayed and confronted the problem, but she didn't know if she could if she could say what she was thinking. If she couldn't say how she felt. Maya changed into work out clothes and went to the NCIS gym, calling Gibbs so she could punch out her frustration.