Chapter 13: Unveiled

"Secrets are made to be found out with time." ~Charles Sanford

Chapter 13

I woke up, per usual, to the musical styling’s of Barbra Streisand. Rubbing my eyes, and pulling myself up, I swung my arms over the bed and yawned. I walked from my room, in the living room seeing Marty pulled up to his record player, book in his hand, fast asleep.

I grinned to myself and fetched an apple from the fridge, munching on it quickly so I’d get to school on time. I hurried to my room and stripped off my clothing, putting on some black jeans, boots, and a big, knit sweater. I washed all the smudged makeup off my face from yesterday and ran a comb through my hair a couple of times, grabbed my bag and Marty’s keys, and left the apartment, hoping I wouldn’t see Alex on my way out.

I knew that I couldn’t avoid Alex forever, but I needed to, if only for a little while. How would I face him? Yesterday, I’d completely run away after our kiss, without any explanation. Would he be mad? Upset? Or would he have just forgotten it all, and moved to the next girl to deliver flowers to?

Thankfully, I didn’t see him, which relieved me. And what relieved me more was that Marty’s car was working, and I got to school at a reasonable time. I parked the car in my usual spot, got out, and headed inside, careful to keep a low profile. Once I was inside, I hoped that no one—not even Dulcie would see me. I didn’t want to have to hear them all upset about what happened yesterday. I just…needed a break.

Finally, after what felt like years of walking, I arrived at my locker. As I opened it and began to unload all my books, I felt a looming presence over me. Sighing, I turned my head around to see the one and only Scarlett Howards, decked out in an expensive looking skin-tight pencil skirt, wedges, tank top, and a blazer, with thousands of accessories to match. Her hair was up for a change, and made her seem less Scarlett-y without her long, blonde ringlets hung prominently over her totally fake boobs.

“Hey there, Audrey.” Scarlett said, leaning next to my locker.

“What do you want, Scarlett?” I hissed through clenched teeth. “I’m not in the mood.”

Scarlett’s eyes raked up and down my body. “Obviously. You look like a mess.”

I narrowed my eyes, faking a smile. “Oh, gee, thanks.” I drawled sarcastically.

She smirked. “Well…I just wanted to set the record straight, Audrey.”

I rolled my eyes, shoving my bag into my locker. I grabbed my text book for my first class, and looked at her, “On what, exactly?” I asked, unenthused.

“About us, silly.” She piped up, “You know, if you hadn’t rejected my request on information about the Secret Tellers, I wouldn’t have called your mother.”

I gritted my teeth together. The last thing I needed was Scarlett reasoning with me. I’d possibly ruined the closest thing I had to a best friend, and I was moving 1,000 miles away from the only place I’d ever sort of fit in. I wasn’t in the best mood to talk to a girl I hated.

“That’s a shame, then, but there’s no reason to tell you now then, since she’s already here,” I snipped. I grimaced, slamming my locker angrily and turning towards her, “Plus, now I’m moving 1,000 miles away. So, I hope you’re happy.”

Scarlett leaned against the locker and chuckled, “Make sure to ring me when you’re feeling lonely, love.” She said slyly, making a phone symbol with her hand and pressing it to her ear with a grin.

Steaming with anger, I walked away.

---

I’d avoided everyone the entire day, thankfully, but I was beginning to think my lucky streak was coming to an end.