Incurable Fate

•••••••Oscorp Industries, Queens5:10pm

•••••••
Oscorp Industries, Queens
5:10pm

Madeline shut her eyes as soon as she locked the door with Peter on the outside. The room was dark, and the hallway was bright as day, making the lab inside pitch black in her vision.

She let her eyes adjust as the back of her head ceased with pounding. Shaking her head, it had finally past. Like it wasn't even there in the first place.

Madeline felt a bit drowsy, maybe it was the current lack of sleep or the fact that she ran all the way here on foot. Either way, she desperately wanted sleep. But how could she? Her comfy bed stood in the one place she dared not to go into since that's where she last saw her father. And anyways, she knew she had to talk to Ashley, maybe even get her out. How? She didn't know quite yet.

She also knew she needed help.

She suddenly felt a load of regret on her shoulders. Maybe snapping at Peter and telling him to leave wasn't the best call. He's always been there for her, how could she act so stupid without thinking twice?

It was too late now. He was probably out the building doors by now.

Maybe I should go back and find him. Apologize or—

"Who's in here?" A weak woman's voice echoes in the room. Madeline immediately stiffens, suddenly afraid of confronting the person she knows that is around the corner.

It was now when she walked out from the shadows that there was a constant beeping that sounded like a heartbeat monitor. And it was—a heartbeat monitor that stood next to the leveled-up hospital bed with a woman laying down on it. The woman looked nothing like she did in the picture, her hair was messy and full of fly-aways, and her entire frame underneath the thin blankets were all skin and bone.

Madeline had to resist the urge to shiver, for Ashley looked like a skeleton with hollow check bones and sunken in eye sockets. The girl almost wanted to cry for her, but instead she continued to walk towards the hospital bed.

Surrounding the bed was millions of cords and tubes attached to machines. One of them was her oxygen tube, continuously giving Ashley air to breathe. Another was an IV needle with a tube containing her water source. The last one that Madeline recognized was a tube connected to her throat, this one was something that doctors used to force the patient to eat—not the most fun way of receiving food—she had heard.