Like A...Date?

Peter and Madeline are on the way to Oscorp Industries

    Peter and Madeline are on the way to Oscorp Industries. She sits by the glass window with one arm resting on the sill. Peter sits next to her, silent and nervous.

This is the time Madeline has been anxious for. Not talking with her brother for what seemed like 2 years has become something she was used to.

She'd never thought she'd be able to speak even three words to him because of his mental health. But given this opportunity, her butterflies have turned into moths, trying to eat away her insides.

She feels as the subway train grows closer to her father's lab, the more likely she might throw up. She looks outside the passing lights of the tunnel the train enters. Each one hypnotizing her into a deep trance.
Her eyes gloss over in deep thought, You can do this. Its only for a short time, say as much as you can to him. Say you miss him, say you love him.

The teenage boy that sits next to Madeline looks up from his phone, texting his Aunt May he'll be a little late for dinner. He notices the worried look Madeline has on her face as she bites one of her thumbnails.

He turns off his phone and searches around the train to find something to talk about. He sees only random people, some in raggedy clothes, others dressed professional, a mother with her kid, and millions of graffiti tagged around the steel walls.

He ends up scratching the back of his head and clearing his throat awkwardly, making Madeline snap out of her thoughts and look at Peter.

His shy grin sets in his face as he speaks up for the two,
"How are you holding up?" His throat is scratchy at first so he swallows the lump.

"Um..alright?" She puts her arm off the window and ends up crossing them, "Considering what's about to happen, I think I'm holding up pretty okay. I mean, I haven't chickened out or anything." She chuckles a bit under her breath.

"Oh–! Okay, good. I-I was asking 'cause you seemed a bit..nervous?"

Maddie notices the easing concernity in Peter's expression. His brows are furrowed and his dark brown eyes turn a bit light brown due to the white lights in the train.

"Pete, I'll be fine. You don't have to worry about me." She gives him a reassuring smile in the corner of her mouth. But she sees that Peter leans forward and stares down at his shoes quickly with a grimace on his face.

"Sorry...I'm probably not helping huh—?"

Madeline shakes her head, "What? No–Peter, you are helping. You offered to anyways and it was a crazy idea at first but now—" The boy smiles a bit to Maddie, making her forget what she was about to say and made her say something else,

"Your...your company is helping. I'm glad you came along." She says embarrassed of her words. She feels the seemingly judging stare of his eyes and looks out the window.
You idiot, there you go blabbering again.