The Visit

Madeline stares out the plexiglass window of the observing room

Madeline stares out the plexiglass window of the observing room. This room towers down and looks over a smaller one. She cant see anything in it , just reflections of other scientists walking and doing their work around it.

She knows Harry is in there. The scientists keep him locked up in a four sided rectangle the size of a bathroom. She cringes with guilt; no human should be living in such a prison.
Can he see in there? Can he even breathe inside such a tiny box?

"Miss Osborn, we finished prepping the antidote. You should be able to converse with Subject X—Uh...Harold Osborn after we've injecting the serum." A tall man with spectacles says to Madeline.

She nods in response without breaking eye contact with the reflective box, "And he's in there...?"

"Yes, ma'am." He replies formally, "We..We sort of assumed in the state that he's in, you wouldn't want to see how he...currently looks like." Another scientist, a short and plump one, strolls along a cart filled with a machine attached to a pipe. Next to it, secured bottles of liquid and three sterilized needles. Madeline already knows that this cart carries the antidote Harry needs.

She directs her glance to the man in front of her's ID badge, one that says, Dr. Alistair Smythe.

"Mr. Smythe, how the hell am I supposed to talk to my brother if he can't see me?" She crosses her arms and tries ignore the shiver she gets when the man with the cart goes past her.

"Uh—right. Of course." The man in glasses flusters and he turns away to avoid eye contact with the fifteen year old. Madeline Osborn knows that the workers here all see her as Norman Osborn number two. The reputation he holds spreads throughout his facility. Everyone either wants to be in his position, or cowers below his great scientific mind. For Maddie, it's the same deal; only she doesn't want to be cowered from.

Doctor Smythe slides a small white handle upwards and the mirrors of the box fade away so that they change into regular glass and reveals a person inside. Madeline develops a lump in her throat as she almost doesn't recognize her brother.

They have Harry inside a blank white room with nothing but a small bed and a toilet. He sits on the bed with his auburn hair tassled in front of his eyes. Madeline cant bare to see him like this. She knew they had to lock him up somehow; she didn't expect like a criminal.

The scientist with the medicine cart goes over to the room next door, a big, bulky one that seals the air from the lab to the watch room. He then puts on a yellow rubber suit. The helmet covers his entire head and on his back, is a provided oxygen tank.
Of course they'd take extra precautions, the disease could be airborne.