Aftermath

Madeline's ears ring with an on-going buzz as tiny car pieces fly through the air

      Madeline's ears ring with an on-going buzz as tiny car pieces fly through the air. She groans as she feels an immense wave of pain course through the front of her head.

The body above her breathes heavily and the familiar smell engulfs her senses, along with the stench of smoke.
The person hugs her tight as a human shield and he grunts in pain. Through the blurriness in her eyesight, she sees a head full of brown messy locks.

"Peter?" She says, raising her voice, "Oh–oh my God."
Peter sucks in air through his teeth and tries to hold back screams.

Madeline sits up from the ground.
"Crap, crap, crap..."He mumbles to himself, his voice cracking, and grunts as he tries to move an arm.
"No—no, don't get up."
He continues to lie down on his side, gripping onto his own arms.

Madeline gets on her knees and sees the scattered blood spots all over his ripped up shirt. She also sees a couple of pieces of debris and glass stuck in his skin and all over his arms.
"Peter, sh-shit—!"
"I know--" He coughs and now has cuts along his face, blood drips down from his busted up lip from biting down on it too hard.

Madeline spots a woman staring at the two in fear and calls for help, "We need a medic!" She says to her and the woman quickly jogs down to the group of doctors taking people in ambulances.

"Okay, we're going to take you to the hospital." She says while gripping onto his hand. Her voice is shaken as she looks over his body. His hair starts to falls over his eyes. "God, you're so stupid for doing that Peter– so, so stupid."
"I couldn't—I couldn't let you get hurt could I?" He says in between grunts of pain.
"Not if you get hurt in return you idiot!"

Peter shuts his eyes and starts to hate himself, thinking about how he could've done better to save Maddie from the car. Maybe he should've put the suit on earlier and swung down to sweep her off her feet—literally. But he decided not to since it was just a fire and no suspect seemed to be making a get away. And he just saw it, he saw the car about to explode into nothing. He couldn't just stand there and watch Madeline die, he had to save her in the stupidest way possible.

"You do know that calling me names won't help anything here?" Madeline hears the small mischievous but hurting laugh Peter gives her.

She scoffs, "Yeah? Well, right now I think me calling you names is the least of your problems--"

Madeline sees an ambulance backing up toward their way with two medics running over with a gurney, "Thank god." She stands up so that they can work on the injured boy.

"Shrapnel in the higher back area and arms. Lay him on his side—"

The woman paramedic comes up to the scared high school girl as the doctors lift Peter in the gurney, "Your head's bleeding real bad sweetie," the woman presses a cotton pad on the top of her forehead, "I'd like to take you in as well as your boyfriend just to make sure you don't have a concussion."