Trust Me

•••••••••

•••••••••

"Wait, so your telling me, that she said 'yes'?"

Peter nods his head slowly and stands above a sitting down Aunt May, preparing himself for the lecture that's about to hit him like a tornado. He's told Aunt May about him and Madeline, now he's waiting for the 'you better not screw it up' speech.

Her face says it all; purely stricken. Peter stands silent for a reaction, good, bad—something. The quiet is tormenting him.
May's mouth is half-hanging open, trying to get words out.

"May—?"
"—Hold on, give me second to process this." She holds up a pointer finger and stares down at the floor.

"Do you not want us to? I'm confused." He states slowly, a hint of sadness leaks out with his words.

"No, no. I'm just. . . surprised." She shrugs, her eyebrows raised.

"Surprised—" Peter can't help but laugh nervously out loud. He didn't expect her to be surprised.

"—Oh, Peter I didn't mean it like that. I'm so so happy for you," she stands up, holding Peter's arms on his side, with a warm smile. "It's just, I didn't expect you two to start dating until—I don't know—a month later maybe?"

"I know, it's a lot. But we're just gonna see where it goes from here. You know, get to know each other. We already wanna hang out tomorrow. She's gonna try and sneak out of the house away from her Dad so we can meet somewhere. I honestly never thought this would be happening so, I'm pretty happy about it."

Peter nods to himself, taking the steps of dating seriously. He hasn't really been anyone's boyfriend before—accept the time when he and Susan Ryland called each other boyfriend and girlfriend in fifth grade. But that didn't count, he would tell himself.

His deep thinking is interrupted when he notices his Aunt May stopping in her tracks. Her hands are covering her mouth and her eyes are wide.
"What?" He asks cautiously.