Familiarity

Celestia was happy that Halloween was finally finished. Luna and Chrysalis forced her to partake in haunted houses, corn mazes and horror movies. Only one of which she was alright with, she honestly thought corn mazes were fun. She'd seen Sunset and her friends walking down the street and was glad to see her laughing and having fun like a normal teenager.

It was now Monday once again and she had received a message from Sunset saying she wanted to talk to her and she was more than happy to oblige. Still, Celestia wanted to do more for her but that wasn't going to happen as soon as she'd like.

***

To Sunset, the morning seemed to drone on forever. Fellow classmates still gave her dirty looks and the odd snide remark but it seemed to be a little less...violent now. Sure, a few students purposefully bumped into her but Sunset was surprised that no one attempted to shove her in a locker or knock books out of her hands. Though it might have something to do with her current demeanor.

Her dream from Halloween still weighed heavily on her mind. 'Can you feel it?' her demon-self had asked, 'magic'. Sunset wasn't sure how to make of it; This world doesn't have magic. Twilight took it back with her when she took her crown back to Equestria. She mulled it over for the majority of her class but then, her thoughts returned to the last thing the demon had told her 'save them'.

When the lunch bell rang she shoved her thoughts aside, looking forward to her chat with the Principal. She chuckled to herself, said no one ever.

Overall, Sunset had a good weekend with her friends had decided she needed to make an actual effort to get along with them. They can only be patient for so long. Sunset surprised all five of the girls by stopping at the wonder colt statue in the morning and actually talked with them until the bell rang for class.

Since coming to Canterlot High, Sunset took to eating her lunch alone on the top floor of the library. It was the same space she had fled to the day before Halloween. Today though, as a part of her making an effort, she found herself standing at the doors of the cafeteria. Sure, she ate lunch there on Halloween, but she still felt nervous, not of the five girls, but the other students. It was the one place, even when she was a bully, that Sunset left everyone alone.

Come on, Sunset, she told herself, if you want to make an effort, you have to brave the cafeteria. Sunset shook her head and sighed, I'm being really stupid about this.

Without so much as a second thought, she opened the doors to the overcrowded room. Students were talking amongst their friends; having foregone the class system she'd created. It actually made her happy, seeing the other students hanging with who they wanted without fear.

She stood in line and grabbed her lunch then scanned the cafeteria, quickly spotting her friends and walked over. Sunset could feel the hard stares of the students but she did her best to ignore them. Once she approached the table, Rarity and Applejack smiled and waved her over.

"Sunset!" Rarity said with glee, "I'm so glad to see you're finally joining us!"

Sunset smiled at her, "Me too." She said, taking an empty seat next to Applejack.

"Are you feeling any better, sugar cube?" Applejack asked her.

She sighed, "About friendship? Yes. About my dream? Not so much. I can't stop thinking about it!"

"I do wish that you would share it with us, Sunset." Rarity said, "I understand that you have always been a private person, but we just want to help."