16: You Hit The Wrong Wall

I got to the address Alan gave me. It was right outside campus, a three floor building. I parked in front and hopped off the car walking towards the glass door. I went to the elevator and pressed the "Up" bottom, the doors opened with a little resistance and I pressed the number three.

The doors opened few seconds after and showed a dimmed hallway. I walked down the hallway until I reached the apartment 3b. I knocked and waited for Alan to open the door.

"Blake" he greeted me with a smile. He had a beer in hand and a pen behind his ear "come in" he moved aside to let me in.

I walked in and looked around the living room; there were tons of papers and crumbled sheets of paper on the floor. The trash can showed multiple failed attempts to get one in. There was a half empty box of pizza on the coffee table.

"Hey Alan, thank you for agreeing after so many years" I said chuckling and passing my hands behind me neck. He smiled and shrugged.

"It's nothing, I knew you would eventually come" he sat down and looked at me "you've definitely grown" he chuckled "there's one tonight, are you free tonight?" I nodded, swallowing forcefully.

"Where is it?" I asked shifting my weight on my feet. Alan seemed to be looking for something in the mess in front of him. When he found it, he handed it to me.

"Take this, I will text you where and when it is" I looked at the tiny black phone he was giving me and nodded "Go practice a little bit, you'll be dealing with professionals" he smiled and lit up a cigarette.

I left Alan's house feeling like I was doing something really stupid. It may be stupid but necessary. I drove to the frat house and changed into my gym's clothes. If Ivan found out I was participating in the illegal fights he would kick my white ass off the team and the frat house. I needed to be very careful with this whole deal.

"Blake!" I heard Ivan calling me from the top of the stairs. I turned around slowly feeling like he already knew I was up to something bad.

"Nice move with Tina" I smiled and nodded. Ivan frowned but turned around leaving me alone. I sighed and walked out of the house.

I went to the gym and practiced with Johnathan for a good hour, going extra hard on defense and offense. Johnathan asked why my sudden interest but I just said I was going through some tough times and needed the scape.

After practice I went to grab something to eat in the restaurant near the gym. I went home afterwards and showered. I locked myself in my room for the rest of the night, getting a bag ready and mentally preparing for tonight. I didn't know what I was going to face.

I was falling asleep when the phone Alan gave me vibrated on my pocket. I rushed to get and saw the text message.

unknown: basement of the ex-community building. 8:30 pm. be ready at 8.

I closed the phone and looked at mine. It was 7:25 pm, I had time.

***

I got out of the house at 7:45, my brothers were nowhere to be seen. I left my phone at the house and only carried the little black phone Alan gave me. I hoped nobody I knew went to those fights. I gripped the steering wheel too tightly the whole drive, somehow I was nervous. Not about the fight but getting caught.