Chapter 1 - Devil's Den

The boy saw the knife coming at him but could do nothing but stare at it. He moved his pupils towards the burning bodies and then suddenly felt a sharp pain in his throat as the knife slashed through the skin.

Amar extended his hand out of his car window and pressed the intercom button on the gate. Saying his name, he waited for a couple of seconds for the electronic gate to open. As he drove along the green lawn, he noticed the black Hummer H3 standing in the driveway: that means he is home. He stopped the car just outside the main door and got down.

Tanveer, the Sangawat's driver, came running towards him to take the keys. Quickly, he drove the car away to the other side. Amar smiled as he remembered the house rules: no car was allowed to stand in the driveway while the Hummer was parked. Climbing up the stairs, he looked around and recognised the huge carved doorway, which was lined by a heavy oak door. It was open, so, everyone was awake. He looked at his watch and realised suddenly that he was a minute late.

Dammit! Not again.

Briskly he walked inside the Sangawat drawing room, which was nothing short of a mini football ground. The walls were adorned with different Rajput paintings, which he knew had been collected by none other than Shekher Sangawat.

Firozi and Badri, the two servants smiled at him and gestured towards the inner garden. As he passed the ornate chairs and the huge dining table, he was greeted by Radha, Viman's wife. Viman was his dear old friend from a long time. Kabir, Viman's younger brother looked at him and smiled mischievously, knowing too well that Amar was late. Crossing the picturesque garden, he stood outside the outhouse and frowned.

Time to enter the devil's den!

He pressed the intercom and said his name and instantly heard the electronic click of the door lock sliding away from its hinges.

As he entered the main room, it took time for him to get adjusted to the dim lighting and shadows around him. When finally was able to see, he frowned at the dark decor inside. The grey walls made this place look more like a dark cave. On his right side was a writing table preceded by another grey wall. The huge drawing room, lined with an enormous sofa and even bigger table, did nothing but intimidate him.

God!

It is said that people feel claustrophobic in small spaces, but Amar felt constricted in this gigantic room every time he entered.

He looked beyond and saw the huge gym equipment sitting further away in the room. The towel on the high bench press meant that the morning fitness regime was over.

His gaze moved further sideways and he recognised the heavy dark door, which opened to the study and library.

Amar thought of going inside but then retreated. The only bright and lively things there were the books; everything else was black and dark.

Amar climbed the black staircase and reached the bedroom. Nobody would even believe that a place like this would house a bedroom so huge. He recognised the colossal king-size bed lined with grey sheets and black pillows; the ruffles clearly indicating it had been slept in. His gaze shifted to the bedside table and he noticed the famous Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch collection watch.

What a timepiece!

Knowing that it was beyond his capabilities to own it, he looked the other way round and found the same old black mahogany mirror, which extended till the floor. Even the floor was black in colour.

Man!

Suddenly he was startled by a growl. His scared gaze shifted towards the door in front and he saw only a pair of glowing eyes. For a second his heart was about to give up on him and then he relaxed as the much familiar figure moved.

Slowly the pair of eyes came closer and he lowered himself to the floor.

"Scar, you scared me," he said petting the dog's black coat.

As Scar nuzzled her nose in his hand, he looked at the huge scar on her face and remembered the day he had first laid eyes on the black German Shepherd years ago. Being a child, he had almost run away. But now he loved this dog more than anything else and for many reasons too.

He straightened and started to walk towards the double-layered textured glass wall guarding the indoor swimming pool when suddenly the wall slid open with an electronic click.

Amar gulped a lump of fear down his throat as he looked at the man standing in front of him.

As the man slowly strode inside the room, his wet muscled chest glistened against the faint light in the room. He stretched to his full height of 6 feet and Amar suddenly felt like a miniature dwarf.

The man picked up the towel from the bed and wiped his face off dishevelling the triangular goatee and trimmed beard, which ran along his chiselled jaw and sharp chin, finally meeting his sideburns. As he walked, the muscles of his well-tapered chest and legs bunched up, making him look more formidable than ever. Like a lion prowling out of his den, he approached Amar.

"You are 3 minutes late," Rudraveer Sangawat said in a compressed emotionless voice.

Amar took a couple of steps back realising that today was his death day.

"I....I...." he stammered.

Ignoring him, Rudra picked up the bathrobe from the bed and slipped it on. Then, he pressed the intercom button next to the bedside table.

"Firozi, coffee," he commanded in a brisk tone and went inside the bathroom.

Amar collapsed on the chair near the bed and placed a hand on his heart trying to check if it had jumped out of his chest in fear.

Even though Rudraveer Sangawat was his childhood friend still, he scared the hell out of him sometimes.

Gulping down the lump in his throat, Amar closed his eyes and memories of the past flashed through his brain. For a minute, his whole being got engulfed with pain and he clutched the armrests tightly so as to appease the terrible thoughts but nothing happened.

Finally, he let go and shaking his head got up from the chair. Slowly as he turned, he looked at the Rudra's clothes laid out on the bed; all black.

Bleak and Black!

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.

Image Courtesy: Pinterest