Chapter 21 - He Is Back Again

Ishani was sitting in the bedroom in front of the television watching one of her favourite Hugh Jackman movies when her phone started to ring in full glory beside her. Without taking her eyes off the screen, she picked up the phone.

"Hello!"

"So how's it going without me?"

She smiled hearing Annie's chirpy tone.

"Pathetic!"

She could hear Annie laugh on the other side.

"So tell me what I have missed. I heard we are getting investment from SGH?"

Ishani filled her in with all the details leaving the Veera part out. Knowing Annie well enough, she didn't want to worry her for she will surely rush back to her within a blink of an eye after hearing it. She smiled as Annie's voice grew excited about all the work starting at the NGO with the money pouring in.

After almost an hour, she disconnected the call and went back to her movie. It had been almost 3 days since the meeting at SGH and gradually she was coming back to normal. She had to, for her NGO. However, the pain was still there; it can never go away. But somehow she had always known the truth; she had just not acknowledged it.

Nobody could have survived a gruesome robbery attack like that. She still remembered the villagers talking about it for months. Even the panchayat had held a special meeting to discuss the matter with the police.

She closed her eyes and cursed herself.

Dammit, Ishani! You are not supposed to think about these things. Wasn't it the main reason why you are sitting at home watching a movie and eating ice cream from the tub?

Remembering her resolve, she picked up the spoon from the tub, scooping some and as her hand moved towards her mouth the scoop fell on her spaghetti t-shirt, staining it. Sighing she was about to get up and wash but thought otherwise.

I am home and all lazy. No washing!

She dived her spoon deep in the ice cream tub again and shoved a big dollop in her mouth.

Almost 2 hours later, Ishani paused the movie as her stomach suddenly growled. She looked at the clock and realised it was past lunch time.

Better order some fries and burger!

She dialled a popular joint's number and ordered her favourite, a full chicken burger meal with extra cheese, French fries and obviously fried chicken. Her mouth suddenly watered thinking about the food.

45 minutes later when Hugh Jackman was tearing through his enemies eliminating them one by one and Ishani was drooling pathetically at his rippling muscles and bare chest, the door bell rang.

Sighing, she again paused the movie and climbed down the bed. She scooped a spoonful of semi-liquid ice cream and shoved it into her mouth as the door bell rang again. Not bothering to wear her slippers, she rushed towards the door.

The moment she reached the door, it rang again, twice this time. Irritated, she was all charged up to give the delivery boy a piece of her mind as she opened the door.

And, stopped dead in her tracks.

Rudra was standing at her door with her food.

As he flicked his amused gaze at her, he pulled out the spoon from her mouth and licked the rest of the ice cream off it, and strode inside.

"Nice, I quite like the flavour. What is it?" he asked as he plopped the food bag on the table and turned towards her with a huge smile on his face.

But Ishani was too shocked to utter anything. She just stood there gawking at him.

Slowly he came near her and lowered his mouth to her ear.

"You are drooling."

The husky and deep baritone whisper mingled with his hot breath near her neck jolted her back to reality and she moved a little away. Shaking her head, she turned and stood beside the door.

"Leave!"

She saw his eyes narrowing a bit as he heard her. But he just stood there motionless, his stance clearly indicating he wasn't moving a muscle.

"I said Leave," she reiterated sternly.

"I heard you the first time. But why?" she heard him ask and almost suddenly her irritation gave way to boiling rage.

"Rudra, I said leave. NOW!"

"That's better! At least you took my name," he retorted with a smile as he strode more into the house.

Ishani closed her eyes as she suppressed an angry outburst and closed the door trying her best not to bang it hard. Clenching and unclenching her fists, she followed him into her living room and saw him comfortably adjusting himself on the sofa.

"I believe I told you to leave," she said through gritted teeth.

Rudra looked at her with eyes that were completely blank. Squirming, he slid a little on the sofa and placed his hand on the armrest, clearly indicating he was not budging from his post.

Ishani just glared at him knowing well enough what she needed to do to get rid of him. She marched towards her main door and picked up the food bag that she had kept on the table. Then, she strode vigorously towards the kitchen and kicked open the garbage bin. She was about to throw the food in there when his fingers curled disturbingly around her wrist, stopping her.

For a second, she couldn't breathe. Her small kitchen felt puny to his large form. Her eyes widened as they rested on his fingers on her wrist. The heat emanating from them was a little too much to bear. One part of her wanted to pull away while one part just didn't want to let go of the sensations rising within.

"Don't lose your lunch because of me," he said letting go.

"Sorry for everything. I am leaving."

Saying this, he turned and started to walk towards the door. As he opened the door, he looked at her with a sad smile.

"Goodbye, Ms Raijdas. I'll never bother you again."

For some reason, Ishani wasn't happy that he was leaving. The finality in his voice was so disturbing that it almost made her heart ache. She clutched the packet in her hard as her mind pestered her not to say anything. But her heart just kept nagging to stop him.

"Ishani!" she said with a sigh.

"What?"

"The name is Ishani, not Ms Raijdas."

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.

Image Courtesy: Pinterest