»part 40 » waiting and wanting

Start from the beginning

It was a madhouse.

So with all the anarchy, it was nice to actually sit in a diner booth and drink coffee without any commotion.

But even in my quietest moments, I couldn't escape what was lying under all my busy thoughts. I hadn't once forgot about the coke sitting in my backpack that sat at my feet. It was in there and I could feel it.

My leg bounced up and down as I tried to sip on my burnt coffee. I kept convincing myself that I was going to get rid of it soon. And it was true – I was going to get rid of it. But I didn't have to do it right away.

I just wanted to hang onto it for a little bit longer, and it didn't want to let me go either.

Even though there was typical diner commotion going on around me, that didn't stop the war from going off in my head.

Demon's aren't always loud. Some demons are quiet and cunning. Those are the ones that revel in the silence, slowly building for their break.

The quiet ones are the ones that drown out the color from your heart.

One more line, I felt the quiet whispers sound.

I shook my thoughts once I saw the disheveled boy I was waiting for push through the front doors. A small gasp fell from my lips once I saw his appearance and felt his presence. He looked like shit. Color drained from his face, eyes blacker than night, and hair that hung dull. The beauty that once was effortless was now gone with the sip of a drink.

He was a disaster and he was making his way towards me.

My bouncing leg came to a stop once he sat across from me.

The smell of booze slowly drifted behind him before catching up, and once it did, I slightly cringed. What he brought with him was more than the smell of alcohol, he brought defeat.

We both sat awkwardly in silence across from another before one of Fi's waitresses placed a cup of coffee in front of Lip. His dark eyes were trained on the table, refusing to look at me.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I needed a joke. "Don't you look-,"

"Please don't." He sighed, "I've had a long night and I'm too tired for it."

"Lip," I leaned across the table to meet his gaze, "What happened? Why were you in jail?"

My eyes watched in worry as he shifted in his seat while his Adam's apple bobbed. He was tense beyond belief. His shoulders were screwed up so tight and his jaw was set in place with no intention of moving. Those blue eyes that I could drown in were suddenly drowning in them self.

The sight of him made my heart throb with agony.

"I, uh," He scratched behind his head, "Fiona called me before my class yesterday." I scrunched my eyebrows together, confused on where he was taking this. "She said Frank was paying for her whole wedding."

I sat back in my seat as I watched him play with the handle of his mug. There was a nuisance that formed between his brows as he spoke with distaste, but I didn't understand where his hate was coming from. I chose to keep my lips sealed.

He breathed out a laugh that was bitter. "I mean, come on, what kind of shit is that?" The laugh slowly faded off. "Frank continuously walked out on us, ever since we were kids, and now what? We're supposed to forgive him because he wants to pay for Fiona's fucking wedding?"

I pursed my lips.

"Did I ever tell you about that time he came to all my little league games?" I nodded and he continued, "The whole season he came to each and every one. Sober. And then during my final game, I looked for him out in the crowd. I was nervous, I was excited, I wanted to throw up because I was freaking out. When I looked for him, he wasn't there."