1.40

Cortez and Sophie didn't talk for the rest of the day. In fact, he didn't even return to their bedroom when the entire pack had put themselves to sleep. Sophie went to bed alone and woke up alone, which pissed her off more than anything. She was upset that he was continuously avoiding their problems. He was always giving her ambigious answers and beating around the bush. He was being selfish and childish. She almost forgot he was the older one in their relationship.

Cortez and Sophie were only approaching each other again because Miguel was on his way back from the Lorton Yew pack this morning. After Sophie told him how upset Cortez was, Miguel decided to stay the night in the Lorton Yew's pack house for the night. Miguel thought better than to approach Cortez with something so important after royally pissing him off. It was also a good idea because that gave Maria and Antonio enough time to get to the Destine Moon pack so everyone could meet Miguel's mate at the same time.

The first thing Sophie said to Cortez in hours wasn't anything to relieve their tension. If you say a single mean thing to Miguel about any of this...

Trust me, he's going to get an earful. Cortez bitterly cut off, his voice hoarse with anger and annoyance.

Cortez.. Sophie coldly warned as she stole a glance at him. Their eyes met and they both stared with stubborn attitudes. I don't want you bumming him out today. This is important to him, you know.

You were important to me when I told them about you and he is still an ass about us. He kidnapped you, for crying out loud.

Sophie rolled her eyes and looked to the door. She could hear Miguel's car pulling up towards the house. I'm serious, Cortez. If you're mean to him, that's just another thing I get to yell at you about later.

Well, you've already got a list, apparently. What's one more? Cortez muttered.

Sophie was about to glare at Cortez again until the big front door swung open. The loud creaking of the door echoed through the foyer as the sunlight poured in from outside. Miguel appeared first, dropping his hands from the door and picking up two bags at his feet. He stepped inside and awkwardly smiled at his family. Maria stood anxiously on her toes as her eyes scanned what she could see past the doors, in desperate search for Miguel's mate.

When Maria spotted him, her smile faded and eyes went wide. To keep from making any noise, she cupped her hand over her mouth. Alex awkwardly stepped inside with two bags in hand and a big backpack slung over his shoulder. He dropped his bags and looked over the four people in front of him. Sophie could hear his heart racing in his chest so when he smiled at her, she happily smiled back and snuck a thumbs up beside her, hoping it would encourage him.

"Mom, dad, Cortez, this is Alex Cho. Alex, this is Cortez, your new Alpha, and my parents." Miguel nervously muttered as he gestured towards everyone. He glanced at Sophie and took a deep breath. "And Sophie, of course."

"Uhh.." Alex shoved his hands in the back pockets of his jeans, obviously unsure of what to do with them. "Hello. Nice to meet everyone. I hope you'll kindly accept me into your family."

Nobody said anything and the air around them grew suffocatingly thick. Sophie looked to Maria, who hadn't moved a muscle yet. Antonio was as unreadable as always, his facial features tense but she couldn't really tell if he was upset or just thinking. Cortez, on the other hand, was trapped in an endless cycle of trying not to laugh but also being so, incredibly confused.

"You're a warrior, I assume, by looking at you." Antonio finally spoke up, breaking the silence.

Alex perked up and anxiously nodded. "I am, Alpha."