1.17

The first thing Cortez wrote in this book; I love you, Sophie.

Sophie uncomfortably shifted in her seat as her eyes landed on her grandfather. The old man was sat on the back deck in a rocking chair. She was sat in one also, the one her grandmother used to sit in. He wasn't paying any attention to her with his eyes shut as he relaxed, but she still felt nervous. So Sophie bit back a smile and returned to the book.

After two more days of school and no Cortez, she finally had time to sit and read this. Studying for finals had taken up most of her time at home, and at school she was busy constantly having panic attacks that something would trigger her to lose control of another sense.

But now, the day was as calm and bright as normal, causing Sophie and Henry to sit quietly together on the deck. Daisy also sat by the steps and slept under the hot sun.

Cortez took the first couple pages to explain things about his own life. He was born a werewolf, his younger brother as well, and his parents and grandparents were also werewolves. His grandparents were the ones that started the pack that is now his. His parents had stepped down from their position as Alpha and Luna after his mother was nearly killed in during an attack. Now, they live peacefully among other elderly werewolves.

No wonder he wasn't on my side about Henry moving to an assisted living place. His own parents had already done something similar. Sophie scoffed to herself.

Sophie couldn't help but smile to herself as she read Cortez's literary rambling about his childhood. Werewolves were homeschooled so he spent a lot of time with his young brother a few other pups in his pack. Cortez explained that him and his brother used to be big trouble makers but claimed that she'd have to hear some of the stories from him, in person.

Cortez went on to explain the culture within werewolf society and their traditions. He explained old, forgotten traditions like what Gabriel had mentioned. An Alpha does not step down from his position until his son can defeat and kill him in battle.

Cortez reassured that his family did not believe in that tradition. Sophie was instantly relieved. She couldn't imagine seeing something like that take place.

And then happier traditions came into light. When a new Alpha is chosen, there is a grand celebration for an entire week. The hunters go out and come back with the best deer, pore, or meaty wild animal that they can find. There is music, a bonfire, liquor, and happiness all around. It is a more primal tradition so he explained how people danced around half, sometimes fully, naked. Although, it sounded a bit odd, Sophie could appreciate it.

Cortez specifically mentioned that he was excited for the tradition that takes place when a single Alpha or Luna, running a pack, finds their mate.

The celebration is much more romantic and sophisticated. The mate ceremony was where everyone wore dresses and tuxedos. There was more liquor, music, and happiness but it was a calmer atmosphere. The Alpha or Luna that found their mate got to flaunt around said mate and officially introduce them to the pack. It was a grand occasion.

Once you decide you are ready to be our Luna, I will throw you the greatest mate ceremony this pack has ever attended. Everyone will get to witness your beauty like I have and I will watch proudly as you take your place as Luna.

Again, Sophie broke out in an uncontrollable smile. A mate ceremony. Like a ball. That sounded like fun. Music, fancy dresses, love. It all sounded grand, as Cortez had put it.

Sophie continued on reading.

As my beautiful mate, you are bound to me as I am to you. The moment our eyes locked for the first time, I knew you were the one. The mate bond ties our souls together. If you pass away, I will follow shortly after. I live for you, die for you, dedicate my existence to you.