1.13

In preparation for Cortez and Sophie's date night, she made sure everything was in. She had called Delilah to make sure she could use her as an excuse. She already knew her grandfather wouldn't let her leave the house if she actually told him where she was going and what she was doing. Delilah happily agreed to be her excuse and cover for her if necessary.

Sophie told her grandfather she was going on a late shopping trip with Delilah since Delilah knew more stores in town than she did. Henry didn't hesitate to stop her, simply happy that his granddaughter was getting out of the house with a friend of hers. Sophie then called Mabel to ask her to help take care of her grandfather until she got back. Thankfully, Mabel easily complied.

It was perfect. Sophie had everything covered. All she had to do was get ready, which was probably the hardest part of this whole thing. When Cortez had called to confirm their date, she had asked what to wear and all he said was something mildly formal. Sophie that would be difficult to pull off until she realized that's all she owed. Now, instead of having nothing to wear, she had to pick between a whole clothes full of short dresses and skirts.

The best she could come up with was a skintight dress with a white and yellow-ish brown plaid pattern. The fabric wasn't all the stretchy so it wasn't insanely comfortable but it was cute and tight. It made her look mature. Especially, the spaghetti straps and neckline that was as straight as an arrow across her chest. She liked how the dress showed off her collarbones and petite figure. It was mildly formal. It was perfect.

As usual, Sophie didn't do much with her hair. There wasn't much she really could do. She did, though, decide to wear some make up. That was rare for her. The most she ever did was mascara and concealer to make sure she didn't look dead. This time around, Sophie covered her lips in gloss and eyelids in gold. It didn't look half bad. She might've stepped over the full formal line just a tad but she redeemed herself but putting on some white vans.

As the clocked ticked closer to seven thirty and the sun began to paint the sky pink and purple, Sophie's heart stared to race. So many questions started running through her head.

Was this really a date? A real date? Were people official couples after going on a date? How could she date a grown man without ever telling her grandfather? Was she comfortable dating a grown man in the first place? Well, yes. It was Cortez. Her crush on Cortez had grown so dangerously fast that she couldn't turn back now. Cortez was a gentleman. There was no reason to be worried, right? He would surely treat her to a wonderful evening.

There was a knock at the door and Sophie's heart instantly leaped into her throat. She felt like she was going to throw up. She wanted the floor to open up and swallow her whole, until she remembered she had to get to the door before her grandfather decided to get it. It's not like he was all that fast so even if he did get up, she could probably beat him to the door.

That was besides the point. Cortez was here and she couldn't even fell her fingers or toes.

Cortez could hear loud and frantic footsteps inside that made him smile to himself. Sophie was rushing. Good. He couldn't wait to see her. It was nice to know she couldn't either. Cortez was lost in his thoughts by he time she actually got to the door and threw it open.

Cortez's attention was lifted from the ground as he looked at Sophie in the doorway. His eyes met her bright green ones first before he looked her up and down. A skintight dress. Fuck.

"Hi." Sophie's voice came out barely over a whisper. Any louder and she was afraid her voice would come out as shaky as the rest of her body.

"You look.." Cortez's words came out just as breathy before Sophie cut him off.