1.37

Even though the mate ceremony started this afternoon, there was still plenty of work waiting for Cortez in his office, just like every morning. He didn't used to mind it until Sophie began sleeping in his bed and he had to leave her every morning. He usually tried not to wake her up when he did leave but he quickly found out that she was a light sleeper so it was difficult.

It was extra difficult this morning since Cortez had planned a special surprise for her that required her to be asleep while he was up. He was able to break away from Sophie enough to reach for his nightstand. Carefully, Cortez pulled the drawer open, dug around for a small box, and then push it shut. Sophie shifted from Cortez's slightest movements, which made him freeze in place.

When Sophie was silent and still again, Cortez reached for her hand that was extended across the blankets in front of her. He had to quickly remember which hand was her left one but since she had her back to him, it wasn't that difficult because it was the same left as his. Slowly and gently, Cortez coached the diamond ring onto her ring finger.

Luckily, when he asked, the man at the jewelry store had told him it was meant to sit on her ring finger on her left hand. Otherwise, Cortez would've never had known. Wolves didn't buy their mates wedding rings so it wasn't like there was anyone in his pack that would know, not even his father. They definitely sounded daft asking the man how Sophie should wear the ring.

Cortez stared at Sophie's hand for a moment and smiled to himself. Her fingers were long and skinny, skin pale but pinkish around the joints and creases in her hand. The diamond shone in the sunlight pouring in from the window behind them and accentuated it's beauty. It looked really nice on her finger but Cortez wondered if it was too small. He tried to buy a good one that was just bigger than the average ring.

Unfortunately, when Cortez placed a kiss on her knuckles, Sophie began to stir again. And this time, she woke up. Turning in Cortez's arms, Sophie snuggled against his chest with her eyes still closed but a content smile on her face.

"You're still here." Sophie moaned.

Cortez held her hand in his to hopefully hide the ring. "I was just getting up. I didn't mean to wake you. You can go back to sleep."

Sophie shook her head. "The ceremony is today. I should get up and prepare, right?"

"No, you don't have to. My mother should be on her way by now. She'll take care of everything."

Sophie pried her eyes open, her eyelashes fluttering as she looked at Cortez. He loved how soft her green eyes were, especially in the morning sun and a sleepy glow around her. "I don't want her to take care of everything." Sophie continued talking through her yawn. "It's our ceremony after all, right?"

Cortez chuckled and brushed her hair behind her ear as he admired her. She looked so innocent and pure in the morning. "I still have to work this morning."

"Of course, you do." Sophie muttered.

Sophie pushed herself up and stretched out her arms above her head, Cortez's eyes following her hand as he stared at the ring as if it would fall off any second. It did fit her so it shouldn't but Cortez still worried. It would be a horrible way for her to discover it because it fell on the floor as she was walking or something. Sophie didn't notice the ring yet but she did notice Cortez was still in bed, which was an odd sight to see in the morning.

"Aren't you getting up?" Sophie asked as she dropped her arms.

Cortez perked up at her reminder and hurried out of bed. Sophie admired him as he walked off, rolling his broad shoulders back and stretching out his arms. She was happy to wake up with him this morning, despite the anxiety hiding within and ready to spring. Today was the day of their mate ceremony, of course, she was more anxious than she'd ever been.