1.07

Sophie suddenly got up and collected their plates. Cortez got up as well and offered to help. Sophie refused by Cortez already had the plates out of her hand and a playful glare in his eyes. Sophie stepped back and let Cortez take over. The smile scratching at the back of her teeth caused her to nibble on her bottom lip. Cortez kept proving himself to be a gentleman and it pushed Sophie to like him more and more, little by little.

While Cortez washed the dishes, Sophie walked through the house to let Daisy go outside. It wasn't a surprise that Daisy darted directly towards the back fence and started pacing back and forth as she barked her head off. Sophie stayed by the door just to make sure Daisy didn't get under the fence again. But as she watched her, Sophie's eyes shifted towards the woods behind their house.

The sun was slowly setting behind the trees and casting wild shades through the leaves and tree trunks. Sophie admired it for a moment before she caught sight of something moving through the forest. Four dog-like silhouettes were prancing through the woods all in a line together. The sun was warm but the sudden sight of such large, dangerous creatures made the view slightly eery to Sophie. All she could think about was how violent they were.

"Cortez!" Sophie yelled from the back door.

"Yeah?" He yelled back.

"Come look at this! There are wolves in the woods!" Sophie cringed.

Cortez dropped the things hand his hand and rushed through the house to get to Sophie. He appeared beside her, wiping his wet hands on his jeans as he looked outside. He could see the wolves she was talking about walking along the edge of the tree line. He instantly recognized them. They were a couple of his warrior pack members that were stalking the perimeter or his territory to make sure everything was normal and safe. It was their job to do so every morning and evening.

"Do you see them often?" Cortez looked down at his mate as she stared outside and nibbled on his thumb nail.

"Not really." Sophie answered. She continued staring until a shiver ran up her spin and she turned to leave. "Wolves freak me out. I don't like them that close to the house."

Cortez frowned and followed her back to the kitchen. "You don't like wolves?"

"No. They're unnaturally large creatures, their behavior patterns make no sense to me, and they're incredibly violent." Sophie huffed as she fell into the chair she was previously sat in.

"They're not all violent." Cortez defended. He returned to washing the last of the dishes Sophie used to cook.

"I know not all of them are. That doesn't make them any less frightening."

"I'm good with wolves if you want me to introduce you to one."

"What?" Sophie's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "How can you be good with wolves?"

"They're friendlier than you think they are. I'll help you get over your fear of them if you'll let me." Cortez glanced over his shoulders to see Sophie's face twisted in confusion.

"No thanks. I don't want to be mauled to death." Sophie snorted a laugh.

Cortez turned around and his began wiping his hands on his jeans again. He didn't like Sophie talking like that. Wolves were only violent when they needed to be and even then, there was always a reason and there was always control. He understood that she had gotten caught up in the worst of it before but that was only one time. That was just a bad situation. Besides, he had lead her safely home afterwards. Didn't that show her how nice and protective they could be?

"Let's go outside." Cortez blurted.

Sophie's head whipped towards Cortez, her eyes slightly wide. "What? No!"