1.12

When Cortez went to visit the Crystal Lake pack, he had one goal that he wished to achieve. He wanted to form an alliance. The Crystal Lake pack had a lot of warrior wolves, just like the Destine Moon pack. It only made sense that they worked together instead of eventually falling into war with each other. The latter would only result in great chaos. With such strong warriors, they would completely tear each other's packs apart until there was little left.

Unfortunately, throughout their stay, Cortez quickly found out how Alpha Gabriel handled his pack and he didn't like it. The man was deeply cynical, sadistic, pessimistic, and had a look in his eyes that made Cortez uneasy. With everything Alpha Gabriel talked about, Cortez couldn't help but pick out strange context clues that lead him to believe that Alpha Gabriel wanted world domination or something.

It was just the way he phrased things and talked about everything like it was all so little, like he was above everything. Alpha Gabriel bragged on and on about how strong his pack was, adding in the Destine Moon pack as flattery. He told stories about how parents used to conquer packs and that they had such a great empire. Cortez didn't like it and that led him to not like him.

Halfway through their stay, Cortez finally got a moment alone with those he had brought with. He had brought some of his strongest to show off to Alpha Gabriel, which he was now regretting. Part of him felt like he shouldn't have because now Alpha Gabriel had their scents and recognized their faces. It wouldn't have been a big deal if Cortez didn't want to forever stay out of this guys way.

Lee, Ray, Tyree, and Trevor all felt the same. They had spoken to some of the warriors in the Crystal Lake pack while Cortez was off with Alpha Gabriel. Apparently, the warriors here were just as bigheaded and suspicious. They made sick jokes about hunting their food and terrorizing humans. When Cortez heard they liked to target humans for fun, he instantly knew they had to get out of here.

Even if Cortez wanted to seal the deal to protest Sophie from any harm, he knew it wouldn't work. These wolves were ruthless. There was no trusting them. He didn't want them anywhere near his pack, Sophie, or himself. It was simply too dangerous.

"Cortez!" Gabriel called happily from the other end of the long, well decorated corridor of his pack house. With Jeremiah and his warriors beside him, Cortez confidently faced Alpha Gabriel. "I've been looking for you! We should really get this mind link thing under wraps so it's easier."

Cortez forced a chuckle, although, he promised himself to never let this creep into his head. "I was simply admiring your decor and treasures with my men. It looks like half of everything here is made of gold."

"Oh, absolutely!" Gabriel hooked his arm over Cortez's shoulders and pointed towards the half body statues in front of the windows. "These beauties here, molded after my parents, the first Alpha and Luna of this pack. Mine will be added after my kin challenges me for my spot."

Cortez's eyebrows furrowed as he stare at the golden statues. "Your kin doesn't have to challenge you to be Alpha. You know you'll die like that. Why don't you just step down?"

"Step down?" Gabriel exclaimed as he retracted his arm from around Cortez. "If someone wants to take my pack from me, they're gonna have to kill me first! I took down my father and my son will take me down, it's tradition!"

Cortez gawked in shock. He shouldn't be shocked.

There were a few packs that still had that tradition but Cortez had never met them, only heard of them. It was an old tradition. Packs forgot about that tradition centuries ago. With human influence, wolves decided that killing your father for their spot as Alpha was no longer acceptable. If humans found out about werewolves and learned about them, that was one of the things that would secure their spots as nothing more than monsters.