1.39

"Can I ask..?" Sophie started, speaking to no one in particular but had everybody's attention. "When you imagined what your next Luna would be like, when you imagined who Cortez would end up with.. what kind of girl did you picture?"

Sophie looked to Delilah first, who awkwardly exchanged glances with the other girls in the kitchen. Nobody really wanted to be the first to speak up. It felt like a trick question and nobody wanted to answer incorrectly. Andrew, who was also one of the regular cooks, was the first one to speak up.

"Is this a trick question? Like 'Does my ass look fat in these jeans?' Any answer I give is going to be wrong, even though, I have no idea what the right answer is." Andrew huffed as he folded his arms over his chest.

"Baby.." Clara gently pet her mates arm as he turned to her. "The correct answer is always yes. Even if I feel gross and bloated, deep down, the correct answer is always yes."

Sophie chuckled and shook her head at the two adorable mates. "No. That's not what I'm asking. I'm just curious. Someone made a comment last night and I can't stop thinking about it?"

"A bad comment?" Angela gasped as she gripped Sophie's arm. "Luna, if it was someone in the pack, you're allowed to punish them for questioning your spot as Luna."

Sophie's green eyes widened at the blonde beside her. "What? No! I don't want to punish anybody! I'm just asking a question!"

"Fine, I'll answer." Diana stepped forward with a sigh. Her dark eyes locked with Sophie's light ones. "I imagined him with a woman just as tall, powerful, and intimidating as him. I thought he'd end up with a woman that could challenge him physically and mentally. Dark hair, dark eyes, probably a warrior in her past pack or something."

Sophie frowned. She didn't like how well that image developed in her head. Cortez and this mystery woman made a great couple. He was huge with muscles and power, it only made sense that his mate would match that power. Sophie was fairly confident she did not match his power. Not even close.

"Is it the same for everyone else?" Sophie looked around the kitchen. "You all pictured a warrior standing beside Cortez?"

Slowly, everyone began to nod. Sophie defeatedly sighed and let her head fall against the table.

"Oh, come on Luna." Angela cooed and she scooted closer to Sophie and comfortingly rubbed her arm. "You're not what we imagined but we like you just the same."

"More!" Delilah quickly corrected. "We like you way more than a fictional woman we made up in our heads."

"Are mates suppose to challenge each other?" Sophie asked.

"That's what we've been taught." Andrew answered, earning a slap from Clara that Sophie didn't catch since her head was against her table. "What? It's true. Everyone always says, your perfect mate is not someone who likes all the things you like and agrees with you 24/7. It's someone who pushes you be a better version of you, builds you up but knows exactly what tears you down and can help you get back up. Mates love unconditionally, not blindly."

"It's not about what this hypothetical woman looked like." Delilah said softly as she sat beside Sophie. "You don't have to challenge Alpha Cortez physically to be his perfect mate. Maybe it's mental."

"Mental? When he helped me with my homework, he seemed very intelligent." Sophie replied.

Delilah chuckled and shook her head at Sophie's naive nature. "That's not what I mean. Look, you really don't have to worry about it. You're perfect for Cortez and Cortez is perfect for you. There really isn't anything to question."