1.03

It had been almost two weeks since Sophie last saw Cortez. She really didn't know when would be an appropriate time to call him. She also didn't know how to ask her grandfather if a twenty five year old man could come into their house. If he asked her any questions about him, she wouldn't be able to answer them and then her grandfather would immediately say no for that very reason.

He would have deemed it ridiculous that she would even trust the man enough to invite him into the house. Sophie figured that was a fair response, though. That's why she hadn't bothered to fight it.

But today was the first time she actually had to talk herself into asking her grandfather. Mostly because, when she came home from school, she noticed their mailbox was laid in the grass. The wood steak holding it up was dramatically cracked and splintered, as if someone had crashed into it. When she asked her grandfather what happened, he said just that.

"I could call someone to come fix it." Sophie said, holding on to the staircase railing as her grandfather grabbed his hat off the coat rack by the door.

"You should, darlin'. Call the Thompson boys and give them the beers in the fridge after they fix it. Craig left those here the last time he came over and I don't drink them." Her grandfather grumbled the last bit.

Sophie nibbled on her bottom lip as she watched her grandfather bend over to leash Daisy. She didn't know how to bring up Cortez. "I actually met someone who's willing to help with stuff like this. You know, I feel guilty always asking the Thompson boys to come over. They're kind of rowdy sometimes, anyways."

"Who is it? A male, I assume?" Henry straightened his back with a groan and turned to Sophie. He had a cocked, bushy eyebrow with an unamused expression. "A boyfriend?"

"No! No boyfriend!" Sophie instantaneously rejected that idea. "He just helped me with a couple things before and proved to be very handy."

Henry carefully examined his granddaughter and soon gave up, simply shrugging as he turned to Daisy. "It doesn't matter who you ask, as long as you trust them and they can get the job done. I won't be gone long, anyways."

"Okay." Sophie grinned wildly as her grandfather opened the front door. He stepped on to the porch and held on to the railing as he went down the short steps to the pathway that lead to the driveway. "Be safe! Don't fall!"

"Don't worry about me!" Henry grumbled back.

Henry always went on walks with Daisy. Since Sophie was always at school and he was always stuck inside, he felt bad that the dog didn't get much chance to run and explore. Also, Mabel kept pestering him to get out his chair and walk around. It wasn't healthy for him to stop using his muscles at such an old age. So more recently, he went on long walks with Daisy to get some fresh air, stretch his legs, and let Daisy see some of the world.

While he started down the dirt road, Sophie rushed into the kitchen and to the house phone on the wall. She grabbed the notepad on the counter and dialed Cortez's number. She was incredibly nervous, naturally, but she was excited to hopefully see him again. It was weird, she already knew that. He was so much older than her. Eight years, to be exact, but he was also so handsome and so gentlemanly.

Cortez was nice. Sophie was comfortable around him. Well, as comfortable as you can be around an older man with huge muscles and killer looks.

Sophie nibbled on her thumb nail as the phone rang. Until, it suddenly stopped. "Cortez?"

"You've finally decided to call." Cortez's low voice came from the other end of the phone. He listened to Sophie giggle, which made him smile. "Need me for something?"

"Uhh.. Yeah." Sophie hesitated. "Someone knocked over our mailbox and I'm not really sure how to put it back together. If you don't or if you're busy, I can call someone else, it's no problem."