1.02

Just like always, the sun was bright, the world was quiet, and the wind was still. Things didn't really change much in Sophie's small town. Especially, since she lived in the middle of nowhere. There wasn't another house around hers for a mile or so. It was all farmland in front of her house and behind it were only trees. Some people hated how boring it was out here but, Sophie found it rather nice. She liked the calm.

Sophie was finally in the garden this Saturday afternoon. She had already cooked lunch and ate with her grandfather. He was now reading in the living room and Daisy was outside with Sophie. Daisy was falling asleep on the deck while Sophie tended to the garden. Everything was calm.

That was until there was a loud howl that erupted from the woods behind Sophie. She turned to the woods just as Daisy jumped up and howled as well. There was an instant chill that ran up Sophie's spine as she stared at the rustling leaves of the trees behind her house. As the howl faded back into the depths of the forest, the world went calm again. That only lasted a few moments before Daisy was up and running through the yard to get to the dirt path she always paced back and forth on.

Sophie was slightly frightened by the howl. She hadn't heard a howl in weeks and it was usually the middle of the night when she heard it. But now, it was the middle of the day. That was the most eery part of this.

Trying to shake the eery nerves rattling inside her chest, Sophie watched Daisy relentlessly bark as she frantically paced the wooden fence. She was about to return to gardening before Daisy started digging vigorously under the fence. Daisy could already get her head under it before Sophie gasped and jumped up. Before she could reach her, Daisy forced her big body under the fence and bolted towards the woods.

Sophie caught herself on the fence and watched Daisy run into the woods. "Daisy! No!"

She had to go get her before she got lost or something.

"Daisy ran into the woods!" Sophie yelled as she rushed through the house. She grabbed her boots and threw them on at the door since she didn't wear any in the garden.

"Don't go in the woods, Sophie! I'll call the Thompson boys and they'll get her!" Her grandfather yelled from the living room.

Sophie was already marching out the door. "I'll be right back! I don't want her to get far!"

And with that, Sophie ran around the house and raced towards the thick forest behind their house. Luckily, Daisy was still barking as she ran so all Sophie had to do was follow the noise. Sophie hurriedly leaped over tree roots and rocks, her eyes mostly on her feet to make sure she didn't trip and hurt herself. She wasn't paying much attention to what was around her since her focus was only on the barking and her feet.

Unfortunately, that meant Sophie didn't notice the moving shadows following her through the trees. She approached the source of the howl before she even realized it, Daisy's relentless barking causing Sophie to finally look up. Instantly, she spotted multiple wolves violently attacking each other a couple feet in front of her. Daisy bounced back and forth and barked at them, angry but not sure if she should jump in as well.

"Daisy, come!" Sophie whisper-yelled as she snapped her fingers, sliding behind a tree to hide from the wolves. Daisy didn't listen. "Daisy!"

One of the wolves suddenly flew through the air and crashed beside her, causing Sophie to gasp and clap her hand over her mouth to stop it. Looking down at the huge wolf, she noticed just how bloody it's fur was. The animal was a complete, injured mess. But, the wolf still pushed to it's feet, it's height effectively shocking Sophie. Her eyes were wide and body trembling with fear as she watched it's head turn and it's eyes meet hers.