1.26

{ When I talk about Sophie being inside a white and gold light, imagine something kinda like that picture above. You can see her and the wolf at the same time. It's not like she's lost behind the light. }

"No.. I have to be with Chief.." Sophie groaned as she tried to push herself to her feet. She couldn't get farther than on her hands and knees.

"Not like this, you can't." Cortez spoke seriously with his hand on Sophie's back.

"I'm gonna throw up." Sophie cupped her mouth to keep from spewing all over the place.

Cortez grabbed the trash can next to him and slid it under Sophie. She held on to the trash can as she violently vomited into it, that flicker of white and gold appearing around her again. Cortez could only tentatively rub her back and try to comfort her with his voice. He kept telling her not to fight it and just relax but Sophie kept denying it.

"I'm not shifting." She spoke through heavy pants. "I don't even know how. I can't do this."

"Relax, Sophie." Cortez gently pet Sophie's soft brown hair with a soothing tone to his voice. "You don't have to know how. Let her take over. She'll take care of you."

"Who?" Sophie glanced at Cortez.

"Your wolf." He answered simply.

Sophie didn't want to believe it but she could feel it. She felt uncomfortable in her own skin, like she was being trapped inside her own skeleton. The sensation was almost itchy but she didn't know where to scratch. And suddenly, Cortez could see Sophie's nails grow into claws as they tore through the wood floor. His eyes widened. This was happening a lot faster than it usually did. He was worried.

Sophie could hear everything again, just like the first time. She could hear her heartbeat and heavy breathing, Cortez's heartbeat and breathing, the sound of footsteps echoing through the walls from the pack members in the house. It was all so loud. She had her eyes squeezed shut from the pain but she knew they were glowing. She could feel her eyes burning. Even her sense of smell. She could smell her own sweat as her body began to panic and overheat.

There was on odd instinct within Sophie that was yelling at her to escape. She felt as if she was being stalked by a predator and all she wanted to do was run to safety. But there was nothing but herself. Sophie didn't know how to run from herself. It was so frustrating, she wanted to claw at her own skin and escape the prison she was trapped in. That only made her claws dig further into the floor.

"Sophie, calm down. Take a few deep breaths. You're getting too riled up." Cortez gently coached as he could see Sophie's muscles visibly tremble with anger.

"I can't. I can't. I can't do anything." Sophie shook her head with a low groan.

"Breathe, Sophie."

Sophie took a deep breath in and out for a moment, trying her best to clear her thoughts to nothingness. She slowly let the breath out but it still stuttered and faltered from how much she was trembling. Cortez praised and encouraged her to do it again. Sophie tried it once more but was stopped when another spark of pain shot through her spine. She fell into whimpers and whines that got Cortez all anxious and restless.

The pain was suddenly at the back of Sophie's jaw and getting a tingling sensation, much more painful and aggressive that the sensation of Cortez's touch, through her gums. A moment later, Sophie screamed out in pain. It felt like someone was violently pulling out her teeth with a pair of pliers. She could feel the bone scratch her gums as it extended from her skull. And then it stopped, the tinkling and pain fading until she was simply numb.