Chapter Sixty Five

I wake up to another clinking sound, this one higher pitched. I barely push myself up when I hear someone jump down into the pit with me.

"What-" I start, only to look up and see Newt's wonderful face smiling down at me. Tears automatically fall down my cheeks as I get to my feet to wrap my arms around him. "I missed you so much, I'm so sorry-"

"No, Beth. You have nothing to apologize for," He kneels down and wipes a tear off of my cheek. "You were right. I was being selfish, I'm sorry. I just, can't think rationally when it comes to you."

I practically collapse into his arms, crying as he pulls me closer.

"That note is the reason I got out," I tell him, pulling back slightly to look into his eyes. He smiles.

"Maybe it helped, but you're the reason you got out. You're just that bloody amazing," He laughs and pulls me back into his chest.

"Wait a second, you're not supposed to be here, are you? Get out before Alby-" I start, gripping his hoodie in my fists and trying to push him away before he cuts me off.

"Bloody hell, I'm not leaving you. Are you kidding? I thought you were dead, and before that I couldn't talk to you, touch you, have anything to do with you for weeks. It was hell, I'm not leaving you again. Never," He tells me. My lips curl into a smile as I pull him in by his hoodie to kiss him.

"I was surprised you even let them throw me in here in the first place," I tell him. He sighs.

"I resisted at first, trust me. But then I realized I could sneak in here to spend the night with you and make sure you're okay," He explains.

"Very clever, Newt. I'm impressed," I laugh as he pulls me down so I'm curled up into his side on the cold, stone ground.

It feels so nice to be back next to him again. To be safe and surrounded by people who care about me. For the most part.

"Won't you get in trouble for spending the night in here with me?" I ask him. He grins at me, with that stupid little smirk that he gives me whenever he does something stupid for me.

"I don't care. Alby won't throw me in the pit, and it's not your fault I'm down here. Getting yelled at is more than worth it to be down here with you," He answers. I smile and kick him lightly in the ankle.

"You're an idiot," I tell him before kissing his cheek.

"Come on, we should get some sleep."