Chapter Seventeen

"What do you think's out there?" I ask, looking out at the maze walls. Newt and I are sitting on the treetop together. I'm swinging my legs gently beneath me and he's leaning against the trunk.

"I don't really know. Hopefully we'll find out, someday." He looks down to the open doors where the runners are returning. He frowns. I'm just hours closer to going back in there myself. I notice his reaction and crawl over to him.

"Let's go; I want to show you something," I smile at him as I begin climbing down the tree. He follows. I take his hand and lead the way. A minute later we arrive at the med-tent. I walk inside first. Perfect! Vacant...

"Tada," I say and move to the side so he can come in. I watch as the tent falls closed behind him.

"I hate to ruin your surprise, Beth, but I've been here before," He looks at me confused.

"Aha, but listen," I smirk slyly and put my hands behind my back, rocking slowly back and forth on my heels.

"I don't hear anything," He says, confused.

"Exactly. The sweet, sweet sound of nothing." I stride over to the cot and sit down, gesturing for him to sit next to me. He laughs softly and joins me. I lay down and pull him with me. My ear rests on his chest, allowing me to hear each and every beat of his heart. I listen to his steady breathing, until I hear a change. He soon speaks up.

"I have a question for you," He takes my hand.

"Alright; What is it?" I ask, shifting my position so I'm lying next to him as opposed to on top of him.

"Do you want to be a runner?" He asks. My heart drops.

"I have to-"

"Do you want to?" He asks again.

"Well, I want to fill in for Ben. I want to run temporarily. I wouldn't want to be a full time runner, I love working here and making people feel better. I wouldn't give it up for the world. But I guess the answer is no, I don't want to be a full time runner," I reply. I feel his body relax underneath my own. Neither of us speak for a long time after that. Only when we go to dinner.

"What time is it?" I frown and ask.

"What's wrong?" Newt replies.

"I'm kind of hungry..." I tell him shyly.

"We should probably go to dinner then, shouldn't we?" He gets up and offers his hand to help me up.

"Thank you," I tell him as we walk together hand in hand.

Minutes later, we're both laughing and eating dinner with Alby, Minho, and Clint.

"There's no way you actually did that," I tell Minho, laughing.

"I swear, I did! What else would I have done to a shuckin' griever who was chasing me?" The table erupts in laughter again.

"Come on, mate; Those things are bloody horrifying, how did you even survive long enough to do that?" Newt says.

"It was either that or die, I went with the more positive solution," Minho laughs. He quickly changes the subject when he remembers something."Have you guys ever seen a griever up close?" Clint and I shake our heads no, but Alby and Newt say yes.

"Have you really?" I ask in astonishment.

"Yep, almost didn't get away in time, too," Newt replies casually. I shift my position so it's facing towards his seat next to me and cross my legs, leaning on my hand and eager to hear the story. He laughs.