Chapter Forty Four

I walk back into the deadheads after Minho leaves me alone in the map room to 'calm down' by myself. I've found that the deadheads are the only place where I can really think. Where I can be alone.

The cool crisp air feels nice against my skin as I walk further and further into the wooded area. I've discovered a section with beautiful flowers. Daisies, roses, carnations. It's an absolutely breathtaking scene of nature. I walk my usual trail back into the forest. About three fourths of the way there, I hear a crackling behind me. I stop singing and catch dead in my tracks. I stay silent, hoping it goes away. An eerie silence envelopes the area, hushing the cicadas, grasshoppers, and frogs. I can only hear the loud pumping of my heart trying to escape from my chest and my short uneven breaths. The silence continues creeping over me and the surprise visitor, who or whatever it was, and it begins to drive me mad. I swallow and take another step forward, my foot wobbling as I lift it and step back down onto the dirt. I hear another crushing behind me and wish I had brought my bow with me.

And then I feel the wind get knocked out of my lungs as I tumble to the ground, another body on top of mine.