Chapter Fifty Seven

I wake to the discomforting sensation of jagged rocks on top of every inch of my body. A rush of panic surges through me. How the shuck am I supposed to get out from here? One wrong move and I'm dead. I'm not sure how I'm even alive now...

I take a deep breath, as deep as I can with rocks pressing on my lungs, and slowly but carefully lift my arms up to attempt to clear the rocks off me. With every movement the rocks shift and fall, making me cringe every time they hit the floor with the unsettling sound of the plinking resonating in my ears.

Once my hands are safely to my chest, I squeeze my eyes shut and prepare for the rockslide. I have to do this fast and efficiently. One wrong move and I'll end up dead. I quickly draw my hands in to my chest before throwing them aside swiftly. I roll on my side out from under the rocks in the split second that I have, and land on my stomach barely two feet away from the clattering of the rocks. That's when I feel the pain.

My entire body aches and burns, as if gasoline is coursing through my veins, being fueled by fire pumped by my heart. My head is pounding, I can barely stay conscious just while lying on the floor.

I use all the strength I can gather to turn my head and see the site of destruction.

The rocks are spread out all over the floor, the pile must be thicker than before the recent slide. But I can see something I didn't before.

There's a tiny sliver of light.

It's the last piece of hope. The last thing I'll get. Too bad I pass out again before I can investigate.