Chapter Sixty Four

"Are you serious?" I complain as Alby locks the door to the pit.

"You know the rules Beth, you disobeyed-"

"So did Ben and Minho!" I cut him off.

"They're runners. You're not," He tries to tell me. I roll my eyes.

"You do realize I went into the maze like three other times, right?" I ask him. He sighs.

"We have to obey the rules, Beth. Be glad you're getting out at dawn instead of sundown," He tells me before walking off. I blow the hair out of my eyes and sit down with my legs crossed. Don't they have any interest in what I found? Well, I guess maybe that's why they're letting me out early.

Newt and I just made up, finally able to talk, touch, and now I don't even know where he is. I'm surprised he even let them lock me up.

Being in the pit with nothing to do is almost as boring as being trapped in that stupid room. At least there's light. And noise. And I'm not facing death.

Pacing, singing, kicking around the dirt. The sun was barely creeping below the horizon when I heard a clinking noise behind me. I frown and turn around to see Minho's sarcastic asshole smirk staring me down.

"Hungry?" He asks me, pushing a tray of food closer to me. I just roll my eyes.

"Shank," I shoot back. He laughs and sits down from his uncomfortable looking squat. I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Come on, I opposed this. They weren't very interested in what I had to say though," He tries to defend himself, and I can't help but smile and shake my head.

"I can see that. Thanks, but I don't have much of an appetite," I tell him, staying seated with my legs crossed over each other on the ground.

He frowns and scoots the tray away so he can sit closer. "Are you sure you're okay? I can't even imagine-"

"I'm fine. Alby told me to keep my mouth shut until the gathering tomorrow."

"Come on, Beth, can't you-"

"Do you think I want to be stuck in here again?" I tell him. He sighs.

"I don't get Alby sometimes," He shakes his head. I shrug.

"It's not like we can do anything," I remind him. I know that's not what his stubborn self wants to hear, but it's true. Newt's the only one who has even a little bit of say when it comes to Alby's demands.

"Yeah-"

"Minho! Stop talking to the girl and get your ass over here!" I can tell it's Alby calling for him.

"What does he have against me?" I get up and walk over to the bars, standing on my tiptoes to see if I can peek out at the Glade. I can't see.

"You always have more of our attention than he does," Minho says before walking off. I smile to myself. I missed that.