Chapter Fifty Six

"I can't believe she's dead."

"How could you let this happen?"

"I didn't try, the wall collapsed on top of her-"

"I can never forgive you for this."

"She'd want you to."

"You can't know that. And she's gone now, we'll never know what she'd want now."

"You know how much I cared about her-"

"Not enough to keep her safe."

I shoot up from my position lying on the ground. My hand flies to my heart, which is beating profusely. It takes me a minute to catch my breath.

"It was just a dream... it was just a dream," I try to convince myself that it won't become reality. I really can't make any guarantees at this point.

I click on my watch to check the time. Ten thirty. The runners should be well on their routes now-

"Beth? Beth! Beth!" I hear faint, muffled screaming. I give a panicked response.

"I'm here I'm here!" I scream as loud as I can.

"Beth? Are you there?" The voice shouts again. He can't hear me.

"Yes! Yes I'm here! I'm alive!" I let out continual piercing screams to no avail.

"Beth!"

I rapidly look around to find something- anything- that can make a loud enough noise to be heard. I bend down to grab a rock and thrust it at the ceiling. It hits it with such force that the rock breaks in half.

I hear silence above me. No shuffling feet, no voices, nothing.

"B-Beth?" The voice quivers, just barely loud enough for me to hear.

"Yes! It's me!" I toss another rock up to the ceiling.

"Beth? Is that you? Beth!" The voice asks as I throw more and more rocks to the ceiling. I continue screaming responses even though they're inaudible.

I hear the clang of metal against a hard surface. They're trying to shovel away the rocks. I sink to my knees and begin digging at the bottom of the pile.

"Ah, shuck," I mutter under my breath as a sharp rock slices me across my palm. I clench a fist hastily for a few seconds before returning to the more important task. I hear the boy that found me yell reassuring things as we both dig.

"Just hang on, Beth! We're going to get you out of there! It's alright, we'll get you in a minute!" He shouts. I smile. They didn't give up on me.

But then the boy lets out a blood curdling scream, and my body gets pelted by a shower of rocks over me, burying me until I'm unconscious.