Chapter Fifty Eight

When I awaken yet again, my body is still sore, but there's no fresh pain. I push myself up into a sitting position and lean against the edge of the bookshelf. I'm still a bit dizzy and disoriented, but I can easily stay conscious. I glance up at the ceiling to see that I didn't hallucinate the beam of light. It's still there shining dimly now, signaling night. I give a small smile. It's still there.

Then I notice the emptiness in my stomach. I use the light as a reference to find the flashlight and my backpack. I easily spot it beneath the desk, safe from the rockslide, and crawl over to retrieve it. I check my watch to see that it's midnight. That must be why the beam is so dim. I've been asleep for half a day.

I quickly eat some of the food from my backpack and down an entire bottle of water. I grab my flashlight.

"Well, if I'll be stuck down her until the runners are back, I've got some time on my hands." I click on the flashlight, deciding it'd be best to investigate my surroundings.

I wave the light around, and decide to avoid the mess of rock in the corner and start with the bed. There are old, yellowed, stiff sheets spread over the hard mattress. I run my hand over the top. The sheets have almost a waxy, leathery feel to them. They must've been here a long, long time.

I carefully lower myself onto the mattress. It creaks loudly, making me cringe.

"Ugh, how old is this room?" I ask aloud. The bed frame feels unstable so I jump up out of fear and and decide to observe rather than experiment. "Hmmm... I wonder..."

I ever so carefully kneel down so I'm level with the bed. My vacant hand grazes the metal bed frame ever so slightly, and I decide to go for it. I'll probably die down here anyway so why bother hesitating? I prop the mattress up so I can begin stripping the sheets. Every movement and every touch stays light and delicate so that I don't wreck the sheets. Once I've pulled the first sheet off of the bed, I neatly fold it. I'm not here to make a mess.

I can tell this room's been here for quite some time based on the permanent creases in the fabric. They must've been planning and building the maze for quite some time. Bastards...

I place the leathery sheet down beside my feet clad with combat boots.

I can tell that the mattress was once white, but now it's developed an ivory shade. I can't even imagine someone living here. Maybe it was some sort of shelter...

I suddenly get a sneaking suspicion I'm missing a huge clue. I stop dead in my tracks and flip up the mattress.

"Shuck..." I mutter.