Chapter Thirty Three

I laugh softly as a caterpillar crawls across the palm of my hand. The little insect tickles as his feet walk across my skin. He starts to wander up my arm, pausing every so often to make sure he doesn't fall off. But I make sure he's okay.

"Ah, I guess I chose the right nickname for you," A voice says behind me. I turn my head around and look up to see Minho grinning down at me. I tilt my head and raise my eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you-"

"Princess, animals, you know," He tells me. "Is it your new best friend?"

"No, he's just nice company. You're my best friend," I smirk at him. "Unfortunately." He mocks offense, his mouth open wide in fake disbelief. I smile and turn my attention back to the caterpillar, who's now standing on my shoulder.

"How was the maze?" I ask Minho. "You seem like you're back earlier than normal."

He shrugs. "Ben and I are both injured, Alby told us we should come back before the other runners."

"Oh no, someone told you what to do? How did you ever handle it?" I grin at him sarcastically.

"Shut up, princess," He says before walking towards the hammocks. I move the caterpillar to my left hand from my shoulder.

"Beth! Can you give me some help?" I hear Newt call from further away in the garden.

"Coming!" I shout back to him, trying to lead the caterpillar back to a leaf on the plant in front of me. I go over to see Newt holding way too much more than he can carry. I smile and shake my head.

"Got more than you can handle?" I stand in front of him. His gaze meets my eyes and his lips form a smile.

"Just help me."

"I guess I could..." I trail off as I lighten the weight on his shoulders. I see him glare angrily past me. My smile disappears and I see two Gladers turn their attention away from me. I look down at my feet.

Without time to think, I'm pulled in from the hips into a deep and passionate kiss. I pull away a little and smile.

"What was that?" I ask.

"Just making sure everyone knows you're off limits."