Chapter Eighteen

Gally is sentenced to one night in the pit for his insults and disobedience. Despite many arguments from Gally's crowd, Newt and Minho each got off with a warning. I decide to stop by the pit before catching up with Newt. I kneel down in front of the wooden bars. Gally looks up at me, partially annoyed, partially angry, but mostly upset. He opens his mouth to say something, but huffs in aggravation and leans against the wall. I decide I should speak up.

"That wasn't okay. Newt and Minho shouldn't have hurt you, but your insults weren't okay. You need to watch your mouth. I think you might be forgetting that I'm the bloody Keeper of the Med-Jacks. If you insult me and then get into a tragic accident, I may coincidentally not have a remedy. Watch yourself, Gally." I give him a warning and begin rising from my knees to leave.

"Beth, wait..." Gally says, sadly. I fall back to my knees.

"I'm... I'm sorry," He looks down, a genuine look of concern etched on his face. I give him a small smile. I run my hand along the soft green grass on the ground.

"I know," I almost whisper as I get up and leave. Someone runs up to my side and joins me.

"That was really impressive, Beth." Minho strides next to me.

"What was?" I ask, confused.

"Confronting Gally. None of us would've, we bloody hate that shank. Plus, an insult like that, most of us couldn't get within ten meters of the guy without crushing bones."

I shrug. "It was nothing." Minho laughs.

"What?" I complain.

"It was something, alright." He slings an arm across my shoulder. I shrug and keep walking.

"You know, ya seem to be nicer to me than most of the other gladers. Why is that?" I ask him. He ponders the question.

"I don't really know. Something about you... a quality you possess. It's not just me, everyone has a soft spot for you. Gally would never had apologized to any of us like that, that was surreal," He answers. I sigh, not satisfied with his answer.

"Is it because I seem to be the youngest? Or the only girl?" I question further.

"I don't know. It could be either of those or none but you have a quality that just... it captivates. Maybe it's your charm, maybe your sweetness, maybe your compassion. Whatever it is... we're glad you're here." He concludes and runs off, probably afraid of my response. I close my eyes and smile to myself as he walks away. What a sweet compliment. And from Minho...

I approach my hammock and hop over the side into it. I carefully slip off my boots and set them down underneath the hammock. I rub my knee, still sore from my first nights in the glade. I lie back, staring up at the ceiling. The gladers trickle in for the night as I play with my extremely long hair. Among the last of them is Newt. He walks to my hammock and looks down at me, tired and pleading. I grin a bit and climb out of my hammock and into his. He grunts contentedly. He pulls me into his chest, wrapping his arms around my middle tightly. I place my hands on his chest softly.

"I know you love me, but you don't have to suffocate me," I laugh as his grip becomes too tight for me to breathe.

"Sorry." He blushes, embarrassed.

"It's okay." I giggle. Newt picks up the ends of my ponytail and plays with them gently. After a bit, we both drift off to sleep.