Chapter Forty Seven

I wake up to a hand covering my mouth.

My first instinct is to bolt, or scream, but when I look up I see that it's just Minho. He gestures for me to stay silent by pressing a finger to his lips and then waves me to follow him.

I stretch my arms and pull my legs over the side of the hammock, but I'm distracted by a crinkling sound. I glance down suspiciously, to find a piece of paper crumpled in my hand.

That's strange, I think to myself. I don't remember falling asleep like that...

I'm about to straighten out the paper but Minho clears his throat. I snap my gaze up to look at him and he gestures me over. I shove the paper in my pocket and sprint over to him.

When we arrive at our designated trees, I look up to see Ben is already strapped into his. He gives me a thumbs up and Minho offers to boost me up. I decline the offer and climb up myself.

"We're so going to get caught..." I murmur under my breath. Minho catches it.

"Once they figure it out we'll be deep into the maze, princess," He points out. I roll my eyes, knowing he's correct, and continue climbing.

Once I'm in the position that'll keep me concealed, I sit with my legs out and strap myself onto the branch.

"Fishing line okay?" I whisper-shout to Minho down below, who's watching me to make sure I stay safe.

"Can't see a thing," He smirks. "Got your backpack and everything?"

I nod. "Yep."

"Let's check the walkie talkies one last time..." Minho says and pulls his out. He mumbles the codeword for danger into his walkie talkie and I hear it clearly.

"Perfect," I smile nervously.

"Don't worry, Beth. We'll be okay," He nods to me before climbing into his own tree and getting into his position.

I didn't need to worry about getting caught away from my hammock, since I'd become known for wandering the deadheads at night due to my insomnia from my depression over Newt.

Minho, being Keeper of the Runners, falls asleep in the map room way too often, attempting to deprive himself of sleep to find a way out for us. His hammock absence was normal.

After Ben got his arm broken, he started sleeping in the infirmary, where only I'm allowed since I'm the Keeper of the Medjacks. He won't get caught.

Our plan is all set. All that's left is to wait for the doors to open.