Chapter Thirty Nine

I'm almost speechless at his words "What do you mean something new?" I ask, although I know the answer. He quickly glances around to see if anyone is listening.

"We can't talk here... meet me in the map room, five minutes," He tells me, still panting. I open my mouth to reply but he runs off before I can. I frown. Why does he need to tell me? Why couldn't anyone else know? What could be so important he came back two hours early?

I know the only way my questions will be answered is if I meet him there, so I begin to walk in the direction of the map room. Someone quickly twirls me around.

"Where are you going?" Newt asks. He sounds almost disappointed.

Oh, shit! I have to think of a lie quickly, Minho must not want Newt to know if he specifically asked me to me him in the map room...

"Oh, I was just... going to get the both of us more food! When I went to go get some for Drew, I saw Frypan was baking cookies," I grin. He actually was baking cookies. I had this lie all set.

"Well, let me go with you-" Newt starts to take my hand but I pull away and interrupt.

"No! Uh, I mean, don't worry about it! Go back to the deadheads, okay? I'll bring them there for us. You got us all the other food today, I've got this." He frowns.

"But Beth, you're the one who's working, at least let me come with you-"

"No, no. It's fine. I'm the one wasting your time doing everything. My treat," I plaster a fake smile on my face to conceal the anxiety that he won't give in.

"Beth I just want to be with you-"

"Okay so just go back to the deadheads and I'll be there in two minutes, okay?" I tell him. I begin to push him gently back towards the deadheads. He's still frowning, but obeys.

I let out a huge sigh of relief. Thank God I got rid of him. Now I've gotta hurry.

I take off running towards the map room, having to make two trips in two minutes. I burst through the door.

"Woah, woah. Slow down, Beth," Minho laughs, rising from his chair around the opposite side of the table from me in the center of the floor. The room is vacant except for the two of us.

"I can't... I had to lie to Newt about where I was going and now I have to be out of here and the kitchen in two minutes. Just talk," I explain between breaths.

"Alright. It's a good thing you didn't tell Newt, because he's not going to like this," Minho says, tossing his notebook that he uses to map the maze on the table in front of us. I push down the rising nerve wracking sensation bubbling in my stomach.

"Just get on with it," I mutter shakily. He continues smiling, obviously very excited about the discovery.

"I was running my usual route today when I stumbled across a corridor that I'd never seen before. I decided to walk down it to investigate, and I found something at the end of the hallway," He grins at me.

"Can you just tell me what the hell it was?" I complain. He's not being quick about the situation. He rolls his eyes but tells me.

"It was a hole. A square hole, in the floor of the maze. It led to something, but it was too dark to see and my flashlight ran out of power. It was dimly lit and looked like a small square room. I tried to squeeze myself into it to see if I could get down there to investigate, but I couldn't fit," He tells me.

"So what the hell do you want me to- oh..." My heart drops into my stomach at the realization. "You... you want me..."

"We want you to go down into the room. You're the smallest of all of us by far. You're the only one that can fit," He explains. My eyes widen in fear and I place a hand on the wooden chair in front of me to steady myself. He walks over to me and places a hand on my shoulder.