Chapter Eight

I wake up in my hammock. I'm assuming it's my hammock, but I hadn't actually slept in one yet because of all my time spent in the med tent. I push myself up a bit, to see that it's the middle of the night. I look around at the other hammocks. I'm lying between Newt and Minho. That's strange, I think. How did I get here?

I plop back down into my hammock and just stare at the covering over the hammocks. Looking down at myself, I see that I'm wearing Newt's hoodie. I don't remember putting that on...

Wait a second, is Ben still in the tent? I think to myself. Remembering that he is I begin to get out of my bed. Suddenly I'm stopped halfway out by a hand grabbing my own. I look over to see Newt's smiling, tired face looking up at me.

"What are you doing up?" He asks, propping himself up to look at me better.

"Just couldn't sleep. But Ben's still in the tent, I should check on him-"

"No, take care of yourself first. Lie back down and go to sleep."

"I told you, I can't sleep."

"Then lie back down and talk to me until you fall asleep." I sigh. He has a point. I lie back down in my hammock on my side facing him. He takes my hand over the side of his and laces our fingers.

"How did we get back here? The last thing I remember is the deadheads..." I ask him.

"You fell asleep in my arms, so I carried you back here," He casually answers while playing with my hand. I look down, embarrassed.

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"

"Don't worry about it, Beth. You're cute when you sleep," He laughs.

"But you had just told me the story and-"

"And that was it. I practically fell asleep too, it's okay."

"Alright. How did I end up with your hoodie?"

"You felt cold, so I put it over you."

"Oh, thank you," I say sheepishly. We continue to speak to each other quietly until we both drift off.