Chapter Thirty Seven

I wake up curled up on top of Newt on the wooden chair. His arms are around me and his hoodie is over me. It's not the most comfortable place to sleep in, but it's worth it. I don't think I'd really mind being anywhere with him.

I nudge his arm with my elbow until he wakes up. He smiles down at me when he sees me and I kiss his nose gently.

"Good morning. I think the wake up is probably in a little while. Maybe you should go talk to the runners before they leave," I say to him quietly. I don't wanna wake Drew.

"Minho's probably up already. I'll try to see if I can find him. Can you escape today and leave the tent maybe?" He asks me, raising his eyebrows. I smile and look down.

"I can try if Drew's alright," I tell him. He crosses his arms to mock being unhappy with my answer, so I pull him closer to kiss him before he exits the tent, walking to the entrance to see him go over to the weapons shed to see if Minho's there.

I make my way over to the bed and sit down on the chair beside it. I debate over whether waking Drew is a good idea or not. I feel his forehead, but there's no sign of fever. His pulse is steady as well as his breathing. I decide I should wake him up to find out if he's feeling better.

"Drew... Dreeeeew! Drew!" I nudge his arm to try to awaken him. He uncomfortably shifts and opens his eyes.

"Beth? What? Is something wrong?" He asks, becoming slightly alarmed. He tries to get up but winces and lies back down.

"Sh, sh. Nothing's wrong. I woke you up to find out if you were feeling any better. You're nowhere near a fever, you're breathing is completely steady as well as your heart rate. So I thought it'd be a good idea to check up on you," I explain to him.

"Oh. Well, I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday, but I'm still in a lot of pain. Do you think Alby's gonna make me work today?" He asks me nervously.

"Don't worry about Alby. He'll listen to anything I say. If you tell me you're still in too much pain to work efficiently, then here you'll stay. Can you rate your pain for me again, like you did last night?" I ask him. He nods.

"Probably, a four or five," He answers.

"Sounds about right. Considering you seem to talk with more ease but you cringed getting up. Don't worry, all the pain should subside soon. But you're in here today. Just try to sleep it off and call for me when you want food. I probably won't be in here all day, but I'll be around. I'll make sure a medjack is in here with you and if you need me just tell them to get me and they will, got it?" I give Drew all the instructions before I run off to find Newt. The boy nods in agreement. I give him a grateful smile and rise from my seat, heading towards the door.

"Um, Beth?" A voice calls from behind me.

"Yes?" I say and turn at the doorway.

"Thank you. For everything. Really," Drew says graciously. I smile.

"Of course. Anytime you need me I'm there. For the most part," I give him a wink before I push myself through the door. Not watching where I was going, I bump into another body and we both fall on our backsides.

"Beth! I'm so sorry!" Newt apologizes and jumps to his feet to help me up. I can't help but giggle.

"Thank you, Newt. Such a gentlemen," I say sarcastically. He rolls his eyes but puts his arm around me anyway. "Did you find Minho?"

"He said he'd check out the sector the sound seemed to come from today," He tells me, his attention seemingly elsewhere.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, grabbing his wrist causing him to look at me. He opens his mouth to say something but closes it and runs a hand through his hair. I raise my eyebrows at him, trying to get him to talk to me.

"I'm just... He mentioned getting other people to go out into the maze. I'm worried that-"

"Hey..." I tilt his chin to look at me. "I'm not going anywhere. And neither are you. Except maybe the deadheads. Around four. Maybe?" A smile spreads across his face as he looks at me.

"I bet we can try to slip away."