Chapter Forty Eight

We wait anxiously in silence for an hour and a half before Newt and Alby show up right on schedule. As we see them appear on the sides of the doors, I look over to meet Minho's glance in the tree beside mine. While my expression is panicked and stressed, he keeps his cold and hard. He nods at me to tell me once again that everything is okay.

If we get caught, we're so screwed. I can't help but think worst case scenario. That's just my luck.

The minutes drag on the closer the time gets to six, as if someone were pulling the minute hand to refrain from passing more time.

More gladers gather around the doors. I see the runners exchange murmurs, probably about their missing leader. I bite my lip anxiously. The boys seem to get nervous at the absence of the Keeper as time goes on. I close my eyes and take deep breaths to calm down before opening my eyes and checking my watch.

Five fifty-eight. It's time to initiate the plan. And hopefully stay concealed.

I glance over to Minho for his nod to start initiating the plan. I look down at the mess of straps all over my legs and remove the ones binding me to the tree. I'm careful to leave the ones acting as my harness around my waist and legs. I shove the straps into my backpack and prepare myself for the break right as I hear it.

The rumbling. The doors are opening. This is our chance.

I look over at Minho, who's carefully watching the doors until they're completely open. The second they stop moving, he nods, and I jump off my branch.

I can hear the shouts as the boys see the three of us ziplining above them into the maze. Minho and Ben had spent full days in the maze preparing the ziplines for our escape. I feel the wind run through my hair, the cold air blowing off my face. I get a rush of adrenaline as I near my exit.

Once I turn the first corner and get close enough to the ground, I swiftly swing my knife over the line and drop down, hitting the ground running. Ben and Minho are at my side.

"Turn left!" Minho shouts at me. I quickly turn down the corridor to my right. We worked out this system last night to attempt to lose the runners Newt and Alby would inevitably send after us.

The three of us pick up speed as we sprint deeper into the maze. The yells of the boys after us slowly dissipate until they're left to nothing. We find the opening.

I feel something swell up inside my chest, constricting my breaths and causing me to feel light headed. I begin to feel as though someone has pulled my legs out from under me, my chest hurts to breath and there's a barrier in my mind blocking my thoughts.

"Beth? Beth, it's alright. It's okay. You're going to be okay. I promise, Beth. I promise. It's okay. Sh..." Minho consols soothingly. I crumble into his arms and he catches me. He slowly kneels down to the ground. "It's okay."

I take a shaky deep breath and get on my feet. Minho glances at his watch. "We've gotta get going."

Ben and Minho quickly get to work, tying up my harness and assembling the rope system we worked out the night before.

"Alright, Beth. We've been preparing for this forever. We know what we're doing. This is going to be fine. Remember the codes," He says. "Now come here." He gestures for me to come over to the edge of the hole. I sit down and swing my legs so they're dangling through it. They check to make sure I'm safely secured.

"Be careful," I tell them finally before descending down to explore the depths of the mysterious hole and put an end to the curiosity.