Chapter Ten

"You're sure you know the procedures?" I ask Clint yet again as I prepare to go off into the maze. I can't risk anyone needing my help while I'm out there.

"Yes, Beth. You do realize we survived before you arrived, right?" He says jokingly. I give him an "Oh, really?" look.

"Well, most of us did," He laughs solemnly.

"Just... don't... don't screw up. Please," I advise.

"We'll be fine. Just go out and have fun," Clint says.

"Thank you; can we please go, Beth?" Minho complained. I sigh.

"Yeah, let's get going." I agree. He smiles and shoves a backpack in my hands. We run outside and to the open doors. I hold my breath as we approach them. I feel a wave of excitement and nervousness wash over me.

"Ya ready, shank?" Minho smirks at me.

"I'm not really sure, but I think so?" I joke. We laugh. "Of course I'm ready, let's just go-"

"Beth!" Someone shouts across the Glade. I frown and glance over my shoulder.

"Newt, what are you doing here?" I cross my arms to show that I won't change my mind.

"I don't want to stop you, don't worry. I just want to give you this..." He pulls his hoodie off his waist and gives it to me.

"Why do you-"

"I'll feel better if you have something of mine. Something to help keep you safe," He convinces. I smile down at the hoodie in my hands.

"Thank you. But don't worry, you'll see this back at the end of the day," I wink and pull it over my head.

"Let's go!" I shout and run into the maze, not looking back.