Chapter 34

NORMANI POV - 2 years  later

"Lauren?" Moving down the hall, I smile at the thought of seeing my wife. It's been five days since we've spent the night together. Five days since I've held her whilst watching movies and lounging around, and five days since I've been at our home. Mandatory training pulled me away from Lauren, and although I know it is a part of my job, it doesn't mean I had to like it. I'd tried feigning illness. I'd tried switching off my cell. None of it worked. I simply had to leave Miami and spend five boring, and very lonely days with people I don't know. People I'd never usually spend time with. People who simply weren't my wife. We have been married for a little over six months, and honestly...it's the best feeling in the world. Sure, to some it is just a piece of official paper, but to me, I feel different. I feel...complete. Having our friends and family with us on the most important day of our lives was something we both found amazing. Her immediate family had been supportive since she came out, and my family, well...my mother was liked a crazed lunatic once she found out I had proposed to Lauren. The day? She was nothing more than a blubbering mess. "Lauren, where the hell are you?"

"In here." A quiet voice calls out as I reach the top floor of our home.

Bursting through the door, I find my wife curled up in bed with a book. "Hey." I smile.

"Hey." She places her book down and opens her arms, motioning for me to join her.

"Mm, you kept the bed warm." Climbing over and settling beside her, I feel an instant calm settle inside me. Her arms wrapped around me, I know I'm home. "I tried to get an earlier flight but it just wasn't happening. I'm sorry I'm home so late."

"It's okay. You're home now and that's fine by me." Tightening her grip around me, she places a kiss on my forehead and gives me one of her amazing smiles. "So, how was it?"

"The training or missing you?" I ask.

"Mm, both?" She shrugs and pulls the cover up over both of us.

"Both were awful." I sigh. "How are you feeling?"

"Well, I don't feel any different." I can see the disappointment in her eyes but we both know that this could be a long road. "I should feel different, right?"

"I don't know, baby. I guess some people do, and others don't. Have you checked at all?"

"No, I didn't want to do anything whilst you were away. I want us both here when I do it." I give her a genuine smile and she knows I'm grateful for her patience.

"Well, I'm here now. Maybe we could make it a part of our plans for tomorrow morning?" I suggest and she gives me a nod in agreement.

"Yes, sounds perfect. I'm tired and I'll bet you are, too?"

"I could certainly use a night snuggled up with you, that's for sure." Removing myself from Lauren's arms, I slip off my shoes and head into the bathroom. I know she has things on her mind, but I'm here to support her. We are both in this together.

The past year has been nothing short of amazing, and I can honestly say that I love her more now, than I did when I first said those words to her. She just amazes me every day. At the beginning, we had our issues and our worries, but both of our families have been supportive and that is all that matters. She is no longer at the university and even though people knew about us back then, it still makes things seem a little easier than before. Knowing that I don't have to watch myself around campus is a lot less distracting. She is planning a career in writing, and having her trust fund means that she doesn't have to rush into anything. It's nice to have her around and if this next year goes the way we want it to, I'll be having her around a whole lot more.