Chapter 12

Lauren's POV

Leaving Normani place, I'd felt a sense of calm. I cannot believe that she thought I had regretted last night. No way! I get it, though. I should have told her how I was feeling that morning. Sure, she disappeared before I would have had a chance to tell her, but I should have pushed it. She is the older of the two of us, but I have to step up and be heard in our relationship. I may only be twenty-one, but I've been in relationships before. Pretty serious ones. I know I have to speak up, but I really thought that she was backing out this morning. Why didn't I call her out on it? Honestly, I was too scared for her answer. Now knowing that that couldn't be further from the truth, I feel...awesome.

What will tonight bring? Will we simply kick back and enjoy each others company, or will we end up rolling around in bed again? Either are fine by me. I'm not too picky.

Stepping off the elevator, I roll my eyes when I find Ally standing outside my door. The smile on my face causing my jaw to ache, I had to dial it down a little. I don't think she needs to know what just happened. She has been awful to Normani, and right now, I want nothing more than to knock her on her ass.

"Where the hell have you been?" A look of disgust on her face, I pull my keys from my pocket and stop in front of her. "This is ridiculous, Lauren."

"What is? You standing outside my apartment like you are my keeper? Why are you here, Ally?"

"I'm here because I'm worried about you." Her features softening, I wonder if she is genuinely worried.

"Why? I'm fine." I state as I move around her and slip my key into the lock. "I went out for coffee. Is there a problem with that?"

"Oh really? And what time was that?" She scoffs.

"Um, like an hour ago. What's your problem?" Narrowing my eyes, I know that this is about to turn into an argument.

"An hour ago? Which was what.... 9 am? Lauren, you never see 9 am on a weekend."

"Well, today, I do." I shrug as I move into my apartment. "Is that all?"

"No. No, it's not." Pushing her way through my door, I step out of the way and allow her entry. Not that I had much choice.

"Ally, why are you being like this? Why are you checking up on me at every opportunity? I'm fine. I promise." I know she won't fall for it, but a girl has to try, right?

"She didn't stay away, did she?"

"Who?" I feign confusion.

"Professor Hamilton. I told her to stay away and she kept coming after you." My friend spitting those words at me, I want to punch her.

"Actually, no. She did tell me about your little outburst in her office, though. We are friends, Ally. Well, not even friends. We have agreed to take it back to the basics and I'm nothing more than her student. I'm okay, really."

"S-She told you?" The shocked look on my friends face is priceless.

"Of course she told me. You accused her of like grooming me or something. I'm twenty-one, Ally. I can look after myself. I don't need you to go running your mouth when it has nothing to do with you. I got myself into this mess, and I got myself out of it."

"Bitch." She scoffs.

"Excuse me?" I raise an eyebrow. She knows I'm pissed but she keeps on pushing.

"Her. She just can't leave well enough alone. I don't care what you say, Lo. You would have only gotten your heart broken."

"That's bullshit. When I came back here and you were waiting? I'd just told her we couldn't be together. She didn't invite me back to her place for sex. I invited myself, and yes, I would have gone through with it. I didn't, though. I stopped it before we had even walked through the door. I told her we couldn't be together. She agreed and I left. She was... she was heartbroken, Ally. The hurt in her eyes was unbearable. I did that. Not her. So, please, don't ever go to her again and talk absolute crap."