Chapter 6

NORMANI POV

I'd never imagined that this would be so difficult. Having feelings for another person is fine. It's what you do about it that can decide your future. Being careful is something I've always tried to be. It's not as simple as being with the one you want. It's really not. My job could be on the line if I let this get out of hand. Is Lauren really worth my job? That is something I'm really not sure about yet. I've known her for two weeks, and for almost a week of that time, she was avoiding me like I had some sort of contagious disease. When I told her I was disappointed I wasn't lying. What I didn't expect, though, was for her to almost break down in front of me.

The way she flinched when I touched her almost broke my heart. What breaks my heart even more, though, is the knowledge that she is in this state because of me. She is hurting because of me, and she is avoiding her classes because of me. Maybe she doesn't want to be in the same room as me. I don't want that. I want her close by, working and being awesome like I know she can be. I want her to be honest with me, but that is easier said than done. This isn't an issue that can easily be resolved. At least not without someone getting hurt, and I don't want Lauren hurting anymore than she already is. So, I decided not to tell her that I knew how she felt. What would it achieve anyway? It wouldn't make things any easier, and it wouldn't make any difference.

She was right when she told Ally that it couldn't happen. Is she only holding back to protect me and my reputation? Knowing that that is likely to be the case only makes me want her even more. How can someone be so caring of the others feelings and suffer alone? I do really want to talk to her, but I'm not sure how to approach the conversation. Even if I told her how I knew and she was okay with it, I still don't know how we would resolve the fact that we both want each other.

Once it is out in the open, it becomes harder to resist. Knowing that we both want it, but can't? It becomes forbidden fruit. The more we are told to stay away from it, the more we have to have it. The more we have to taste it. And I want to taste it so so much.

Making my way out of campus, I walk to my car and slide in. Tonight is ladies night at a local bar and I'd promised myself for the past three days that I would head down. I could use something to take my mind off of my troubles right now, and who knows, I may just get lucky.

The short drive to my home is pleasant. An early finish on a Friday means I don't get caught up in rush hour traffic. Reaching my house within fifteen minutes, I park my car up the drive and grab my belongings from the passenger seat. Slipping my key into the lock I enter my cold and lonely home and set down my things. Locking the door behind me, I head straight for the bedroom and pick out tonight's outfit. I have to look hot, and I have to look like less of a professor than I usually do. Nobody wants to date a professor. I may look hot in my reading glasses at work, but it ends there.

Making my way into the bathroom, I hit the shower and wait for the steam to fill the room. Tonight I will forget all about my problems at work. The problems in my personal life which have begun at work. It's so complicated right now and I'm pretty sure that a few drinks will settle my worries. It's the weekend, I'm hot, and tonight....I'm getting laid.

Feeling the cool air hit me, I figured it may not have been the best idea to have a glass of wine before I left home. My head a little light, I felt good about tonight. I'd had a pretty crappy time since I arrived in Miami, and although it was a beautiful place, I hadn't had chance to check out much of it. Tonight, I would make up for that. Surrounded by people I don't know can only be a good thing. If it goes wrong, I won't hit this particular club again.

Reaching the front of the club, it looked pretty awesome. A lot of ladies is just what I like to see on a Friday night. Sure, I only have one woman on my mind right now, but I have to push her to the back of my mind. It simply wouldn't work. We both know that.