Chapter 20

NORMANI POV

I spent the night at Lauren's on Monday. It was all kinds of hot, and now, two days on, I miss her. I haven't seen her since yesterday morning when I left her place, but we've spoken on the phone. We both agreed that she needed to study, and I really needed to get caught up on my marking. I know I will see her tonight, and right now, that is just making me want to see her even more.

We hadn't spoken about Lauren's little jealous episode on Monday, and sure, it was extremely hot, but I don't want her to be thinking like that. I don't want her thinking that that is what I do. She is the one who came to me for help, I didn't once prey on her, or use my profession to get her alone. She came to me. I'd decided to let it go, purely because it was a little funny, but I have made a mental note to keep a check on those thoughts she is having. Yes, I'm sure it's something and nothing, but I don't want her getting carried away and bringing it between us. It isn't that hot. The sound of my cell buzzing against my desk brings me from my thoughts and I quickly lift it and silence it.

Lauren: Hey, coffee?

Normani: Good afternoon, beautiful. No, thank you. I'm good right now.

Lauren: Oh.

Normani: Hey, don't be sad. I just don't have time right now.

Lauren: Busy? Does that mean I won't see you tonight?

Normani: There is no way I'm not seeing you tonight. I've missed you too much. I have a session in ten minutes and I want to get it over with so I can head home on time.

Lauren: Sure.

I know she isn't happy about my sessions with Kehlani, but she kinda doesn't really have the option of being unhappy about it. I'm a professor, it's my job to help out my students. It will always be my job. Sending off one last message, I sigh and settle my cell back down.

Normani: That's all I'm getting from you? Maybe YOU are too busy for me to come by tonight. Let me know when you've figured it out.

The knock on my door alerting me to the start of my hour long session with a girl that Lauren wants to kill, I straighten out my jacket and remove myself from my seat. "Hi, Kehlani. Come on in."

"So, um... Normani?" Kehlani pulls me from my work and I glance up over my glasses.

"Professor will be just fine, Kehlani." I give her a hard look and she drops her gaze.

"Sure, yeah, professor." Throwing me a wink, I clear my throat and straighten my back up. Did she just wink at me? Wow!

"How are you finding the work I've given you?" I question.

"Uh, a little harder than I first thought." Her response seems genuine and she looks at me with a confusion in her eyes.

Rounding my desk, I take a seat facing her and glance over the work she has done so far. "You haven't done much," I state as I tap the paper in front of us both.

A blush creeping up her neck, she drops her gaze and smiles. "Yeah, just struggling."

"With what exactly?" Narrowing my eyes, I fix my gaze on the woman in front of me and wait for an answer. I can see that she is trying to come up with something, so I decide to cut in. "Are you really struggling?"

"Y-Yeah." She nods. "I just, I don't know. Could you go over this again with me?" Taking the textbook from in front of her, she places her hand over mine. "Thank you." Her hand lingering a little longer than I would like it to, I shake her off and pull the book in front of me. "Uh-"