Chapter 1

Lauren POV

How embarrassing asking your new professor for help on the first day. Way to go, Lauren. You could have at least tried before you made an ass out of yourself. Not only was she my new professor, but she was my hot new professor. It's not why I asked for help, I genuinely do need help. I can't say it won't help, though, that she is so pleasing on the eye. I mean, she is gorgeous. Was I the only one who seen it? Did anyone else think she was hot? I know that she is my teacher and that she is purely here to help, but I can have a crush on her, right? Sure I can. Everyone has a crush on one of their teachers at some point in their lives. Mine just happens to be the hottest woman I've ever seen.

Taking the weight of my books on my back, I slowly make my way through the corridor leading to the cafeteria. I have all of these books, but I don't bother to look at them. Come on, Lauren. You have to sort yourself out. You are bright, and you know exactly what it takes to make it through. Hard work. You are almost twenty-one for God sake. I love my friends, I really do, but right now, they aren't helping with my situation. I have to get good grades. Mom and Dad would never forgive me if I failed my final year in college. I'd never forgive me. I was raised better than this, and I really believe that given a little guidance from Professor Hamilton, I can get back to my best. My parents don't know how poor my grades are right now, but if I keep it up, they'll know. They'll know and I'll be a disgrace to the family. It would all be my own doing, though.

After grabbing some lunch, I had already decided to make my way to my new professor's office. Yesterday she was kind enough to offer her help, so today, before I back out, I'm going to arrange to work with her. She seems like a nice enough person. She seems like she cares about her students. I can't go wrong. I have to change my ways before it's too late and I truly believe that she can help me. She wouldn't agree to it if she didn't care, right?

....

Stepping inside the cafeteria, I spot my friends joking about at our usual table. Grabbing a Blueberry muffin, I place my order for a strong coffee and wait to pay. Thanking the Barista, I make my way over to the others and flop down in my seat. "Shit, those books are ridiculously heavy."

"Dude, I don't know why you bother carrying them around. It's not like you even open them up." Ariana smirked. "Who cares, anyway."

"Uh, I do," I respond, a little harsher than I expected.

"Since when?" She asked. "Like, are you even listening to yourself?"

"Yes, I am, Ariana. I care if I fail the year. Don't you?"

"Nah. I'm awesome and will pass regardless." She groans as she pulls her usual 'look of disgust' face at me. "And since when did you care?"

"Since yesterday when Professor Hamilton hit the nail on the head. I mean, look at us. Sitting her without a care in the world." Looking around at my other friends, I see that none of them is paying any attention. "Do none of you guys care?"

"Huh? About what?" Dinah shot back.

"About failing?"

"Oh, yeah, sure." She laughed. "I'll just cram like I usually do."

"That may work for you, but I don't plan on throwing my future away anymore. Come on, guys. This is a new year. Maybe we should all knuckle down."

"Knuckle down?" Ariana laughed. "Who are you and what have you done with Lauren?"

"Bite me, I'm serious." I shoot back. Not only am I sick of her attitude, I'm tired of her pulling me down with her. "Look, I don't know about you guys, but I plan on passing. And I don't mean scraping through. I want to pass, legit!"