Chapter 16

Flashback in bold*

Lauren POV

"Lauren, just calm down. Please." Ally yells at me as I'm pacing the floor. My Spanish becoming more and more aggressive by the minute, I can see she is ready to blow. "Lauren, please. I barely have a clue what you are saying, and I want to help you. Just stop!"

"Sorry." I feel an instant calm settle over me as she places her hands on my shoulders. "I just, she's at a club with another woman."

"She's what?" Brown eyes widening, I can feel the anger rage from within my friend. "Have you spoken to her since you walked out last night?"

"No." I shake my head. Tears now falling from my eyes.

"You haven't spoken to her at all? Lo, I told you to go and see her." Rolling her eyes at me, it's clear that she isn't quite finished. "When I came by last night, you didn't really seem to care. You were refusing to back down, but I can see her point. If you two get caught, you lose nothing, Lauren. Of course, she is going to be worried that I know."

"But-"

"But I also understand your point. You know that I'm not going to go telling the whole of campus, but she doesn't even know me. All she knows is that I can blow up on her when I please. You have to talk to her, Lauren."

"No, no way. Not now." I begin pacing again, and Ally moves out of my way. "She can't just swap between me and whoever she feels like. It doesn't work that way. I asked her to take the time to think, not get someone else in her bed."

"Have you heard yourself? Do you really think she is that type of person?" She laughs. "And besides, you don't even know that anything happened."

"Do you know who she was with?" I raise an eyebrow.

"No. I do not ." My best friend shakes her head and drops her gaze. "You have to talk to her, Lo. You can't keep ignoring her calls. She is trying to work things out with you."

"I know, I just don't think I can face her. Not when I know she has been having drinks with that whore." I laugh. "Really? She would choose her over me?"

"No, Lauren. You have to stop this. Go and speak to her. You don't know anything right now, so what is the point in torturing yourself?" Ally softens her tone. "How did you even know where she was?"

"I followed her from the restaurant. I was going to go into the club and talk to her. I'd had enough of sitting around when I knew that I hadn't given her much of a choice. I just, I wanted to apologise." I sigh as fresh tears fall from my eyes.

"So you know that you were in the wrong?"

"Why was I in the wrong?" My eyes widening, Ally tries to quickly calm the argument that is about to ensue.

"For walking away, Lo." Smiling, she sits me down. "Look, I know I didn't like her to begin with, but she makes you happy. I know you want to be able to show her off to the world, but it just can't happen. One day, though, you will be able to do whatever you please. Just, understand it from her perspective. I'm sure she wants the same, but you have to just go with it for now."

"Thank you," I state as I wrap my arms around my best friend.

"For what?"

"Keeping me sane." I smile. "I just need a few days to figure everything out."

"Well, I'd figure it out quickly. She won't wait around for you forever."
....

I'd spent four nights going over everything in my head. I knew what I wanted, but I needed a little space. Maybe I took a few days too long, but I'm here now. I'd woken up this morning with a sinking feeling in my stomach. I don't know what caused it, but it was enough to wake me. That to me said that I had to sort things out with Normani.