Reality Hangover

Daniella POV

I sat up and looked to the clock reading seven am. Even with the party last night I'd still awoken normal time. It played in my mind over and over again. Gerald being over gave me that feeling again. The feeling of being in fear and pain. Then there was the feeling of relief for the boys to have someone care. I glanced out of my bedroom door to see him still laying in bed.

His hair was a mess and his back was to me. Freckles covered his shoulders from the years in the sun as kids. I sat up and rubbed my face to try and push him from my mind. Yet I found myself looking at him once more as I stood and wrapped into my robe for warmth. I glanced down the hall, everyone surely still fast asleep. My body guided me to standing in the doorway of his room, my stomach full of nerves. I took a step back and went downstairs, flicking on the coffee maker.

"You know it isn't polite to watch someone while they sleep and not even tell them you're making coffee." I jumped before turning around and flashing a slight smile. He was wearing joggers and shirt unbuttoned.

"I thought you were still sleeping. I didn't mean to wake you."

"Cut the shit Danny." He mumbled before taking me by surprise. His lips found mine as he leaned me against the counter. It felt good and bad kissing Gerald right now. A part of me wanted more and the other part felt like a cheater. Then again Aaron was dead. Ashes in the wind. I pulled away to catch my breath, looking down yet he lifted my chin. "Don't act like you don't want this as much as I do Dee."

"I don't Gerald." I glanced at him, moving away and shaking my head. "Just because Aaron is dead and you're finally showing interest in your own town doesn't change how we got here in the first place."

"You're right." He said softly.

" How would we ever start over?" I whispered and kept my gaze to the group. "I'm sure you have good intentions but you can change Ger." I looked at my finger before he placed a gentle hand on it. My wedding band caught his eye and he smiled.

"I know you'll always love him. I know if he was ever to magically reappear you'd be gone. I accepted that when I met the guy cause he was perfect for you and treated you like I wanted you treated. Least I can do is look after you little bird." It tore me up inside and I placed my head on his chest as he just held me in a hug. I still wanted to fucking cry cause I'd be damned if I ever forgot the way Aaron looked that night. I just took a deep breath and closed my eyes, squeezing Gerald a little more. If I'd ever lost him too I'd cease to be functioning.

"Don't go anywhere."

"I won't." He kissed the top of my head before pulling back slightly. " How about breakfast? I'll even help." I managed a smile and nodded as I pulled away. I refused to cry cause I knew Aaron just wanted my happiness. Gerald and I got everything out for the whole breakfast feast. It felt like home as we cooked, music playing and our friends slowly arising from their hangover sleeps. Ellie had Brady and Leo in her arms. Kevin was already patiently waiting for pancakes.

"How's it feel to be a year older Dee?" I laughed and glanced to Grady.

" Like I should probably go into work tomorrow before they fire me for being too old to work." Gerald chuckled and sat beside Kevin as everyone started to eat.

"Does that mean you're actually coming into work tomorrow?" Ellie gasped with excitement as I nodded.

"I figured I gotta get back in action. I'm sure the music as been suffering without me." I smirked as she huffed.

"On second thought you could stay home." We both laughed yet fell silent to eat. I could feel people watching me. Wondering if I'd burst into tears at any moment or if I was just keeping to together for them. Neither. For once I actually felt okay.

Skip forward to the next day and I walked into my company building, taking a deep breath. I wore I tight black dress and my red Christian louboutin heels with my hair in curls. I took the elevator up and walk along the way to my office. Devon welcomed me back and I saw Gerald smirking slightly as I walked to my door. I stopped and noticed the name plate, running my fingers acrossed it.

Daniella Paul

I kissed my finger tips and pressed it to the plate before opening the door.

" This is for you babe." I mumbled and looked around the office. My desk had a vase of flowers and everything cleaned and straight. I walked over and smelled the roses before looking at the card.

Mrs.Paul,

Dinner at my place with the boys?

X Suz

I managed a smile and felt arms wrap around me. I laughed slightly and turned around to look around.

"I would be happy to accept your mom's invitation for this evening."

"I'm thrilled." Gerald said softly standing in a doorway before backing up and heading back into the room. "I gotta go record some stuff. I'll see you later Dee."

"Bye Ger." I smiled before he closed the door. I didn't understand how I was feeling as I sat at my desk and glanced to my wedding photo. I placed my chin on my palm and tapped my nub of a finger against my cheek. I'd never forget those baby blues. My son having those same eyes that surely would steal a heart. "I hope I'm doing the right thing. If I'm not please just get someone to throw a freaking pebble at me or some sort of sign. I'm scared without you. Shit made sense... Now I'm just searching for what I'm suppose to do." I lowered my eyes in thought.

Was I really gonna let Gerald in again even as a friend?